Karl`s PC Help Forums Last active: Never
Not logged in [Login ]
Go To Bottom

In memory of Karl Davis, founder of this board, who made his final journey 12th June 2007

Printable Version | Subscribe | Add to Favourites   Post new thread Poll:
Author: Subject: I'm trying to figure out Naxa 15.6" widescreen HD LCD TV with DVD Player NX-552
scholar
Knowledge of Ages

Theme: KF Blue (Default)

Mood: pensive

[*] Post 524979 posted on 25-9-2020 at 21:10 Reply With Quote
I'm trying to figure out Naxa 15.6" widescreen HD LCD TV with DVD Player NX-552

The sticker says manufactured August 09. Another sticker says 552-0000007081. Serial number, perhaps?

Ruby paid 25 cents for it at a yard sale, I think. She did not notice that the power cord plugged into it is the kind that plugs into a car (formerly called cigarette lighter plug, but I think few cars really use such lighters anymore).

I have a DC converter that plugs into house current, and the barrel looks identical to my eye--but, they aren't an interchangeable fit. The DC converter I have on hand does current for a chair vibration and/or heat pad, and it came with a plug-into-car set as well. I think one of the converters would fit into the other device (like, a smaller caliber bullet will fit into a slightly larger caliber gun, but the larger caliber's bullet will not fit into the smaller bullet's intended gun).

If nothing else, it appears we could sit in the car and watch DVDs or TV.

It would make sense to me, for many electronic devices to run from 12 volts and have interchangeable power supplies--but, is it actually that way in real life? Is the amperage very precise?
scholar
Knowledge of Ages

[*] Post 524980 posted on 25-9-2020 at 21:29 Reply With Quote

Hmmmm. When I search for a power supply for that model number, some results come up for a power converter that serves that model number and another model number made by the same company. The cost for the converter, with shipping, looks to be about $30.

I haven't yet done the kind of search that scans for used items. (Unless, of course, the ones that are showing up in my search include used items, without telling me.)

I might do better to buy a house-to-car-style converter, and plug in the car cord.

It might be the case that the TV/DVD player (which could also serve as a computer monitor) was for sale because it was used in the home, and the power supply failed.

Oh, I wish these PSUs were interchangeable. It's like having to buy different power sources for every lamp you purchase!
scholar
Knowledge of Ages

[*] Post 524981 posted on 25-9-2020 at 22:19 Reply With Quote

I'm a little further along in research.

The house-current converter barrel DOES fit the TV/DVD/monitor unit, as I suspected. But, the converter has printed on it ".8 amp." The TV/DVD/monitor says "5 amp." So--no way is the small-output converter going to cowboy up and power something designed to draw more than 6 times as much electricity as it is designed to produce.

My next experimental step will be to use the vehicle plug power supply, in the car, and see if the TV works. If not, that's the end of the investigation.

But, there is more to the story. . .
Post new thread Poll:

Guest Notice
You are a guest, as a guest you can only see a maximum of 3 posts per thread.

If you want to see the rest, please click here to register.