Karl`s PC Help Forums Last active: Never
Not logged in [Login ]
Go To Bottom

In memory of Karl Davis, founder of this board, who made his final journey 12th June 2007

Printable Version | Subscribe | Add to Favourites   Post new thread Poll:
Author: Subject: Illinois Governor
marymary100
Underwater Plumber

Theme: Iconic
Member Is Online

Mood: fact me

[*] Post 519693 posted on 11-8-2019 at 23:06 Reply With Quote
Illinois Governor

Signs LBGTQ history education into law
Quote:

On Friday, Gov. J.B. Pritzker (D) signed House Bill 246, which mandates that the subject be taught as of July 1, 2020.

The measure stipulates that students must study “the roles and contributions of lesbian, gay, bisexual, and transgender people in the history of this country and this State.” The bill also includes similar mandates for African American history and that of various other groups, including Polish, Irish, Italian, Hispanic and Asian Americans.

:)
LSemmens
Undercover MOD

Theme: Windows XP Silver

Mood: Gone crazy Back soon

[*] Post 519697 posted on 12-8-2019 at 02:29 Reply With Quote

All I can say is WALOS! History should be taught as fact, not with any other agenda. I the person was Black, White Brindle or a Tea Pot, it should be entirely irrelevant!!! If, of course, their colour, or sexual preferences were relevant to the topic, fair enough, but to mandate this as a topic is downright ingenuous to ALL. Can I ask that they also legislate that it be taught that the person used his right or left hand when wiping his bottom?
scholar
Knowledge of Ages

Theme: KF Blue (Default)

Mood: pensive

[*] Post 519707 posted on 13-8-2019 at 00:07 Reply With Quote

I noticed the wording--Illinois public schools. The greatest concentration of population in Illinois is the Chicago area, which has one of the worst public school systems in the United States. So, in a school system that has a high number of drop-outs, a low number of people who go on to college, and a low number who complete college, the leadership thinks that history of people in the featured groups should be inserted into what the schools are assigned to cover.

Hmmmmm. Do you think that is more important than learning to read well? Or learning to study? Or learning to write well? Or learning math and science? When the time and effort now spent on school subjects is not successfully teaching these basics to so many students, does it make sense to require the schools to divert time and effort to these areas, for all students? I think it would make more sense to make them available, but that students struggling in other areas could focus on what they need in educational skills.

I don't favor putting a thumb on the scale for the listed groups, in the sense that a person might get featured for that reason, rather than for the relative contribution they made. Of course, there are many people in those categories who are already covered, because of the merits of their contributions, but no particular point is made about their sexual attractions or ethnic origins, just as heterosexual historical figures do not usually get a run-down of their sex lives. When I think of the topic "important transgender historical figures" (who were not of interest mostly because they were transgender), no one comes to mind--and I won the top academic award at my first college for my studies in history. (Of course, I don't claim to know the name of every important person who ever lived. And, I could be surprised to learn that was part of the life of someone whom I have studied for other reasons.)
Post new thread Poll:

Guest Notice
You are a guest, as a guest you can only see a maximum of 3 posts per thread.

If you want to see the rest, please click here to register.