Karl`s PC Help Forums Last active: Never
Not logged in [Login ]
Go To Bottom

In memory of Karl Davis, founder of this board, who made his final journey 12th June 2007

Printable Version | Subscribe | Add to Favourites   Post new thread Poll:
Author: Subject: Raising the minimum wage in New York to $15
scholar
Knowledge of Ages

Theme: KF Blue (Default)

Mood: pensive

[*] Post 519628 posted on 6-8-2019 at 01:51 Reply With Quote
Raising the minimum wage in New York to $15

Here, from the Wall Street Journal

The predictable results--the financial pressure requires businesses to cut back on employee hours, eliminate overtime, raise prices to cover the payroll. Businesses that were not profitable enough to cover the government-imposed expense close.

Illinois is on a schedule to raise the state-wide minimum wage as high as New York. Our already-dismal state finances will become worse.:(
marymary100
Underwater Plumber

Theme: Iconic
Member Is Online

Mood: fact me

[*] Post 519629 posted on 6-8-2019 at 07:55 Reply With Quote

That’s an interesting take scholar. We have both a minimum wage and a living wage here. I haven’t read of people suffering as a result of better treatment.

I do think that the gig economy including zero hour contracts is changing the way everyone works.

My son in law is a doctor training to be a surgeon and my daughter is high up in 5G communication. Both feel that their jobs will not exist in a few years due to AI and robotics. A well-known supermarket here is shedding over 4000 jobs because people are changing their habits. As more people start to work at least some of the time away from their office or are replaced by machines, those in service positions such as retail will lose their jobs because there will be fewer people to serve.

The tramp’s wage is an old idea. The time is coming where society will have to pay people to do no / little work or set up the hunger games to get rid of those for whom there is no functional role. Maybe life shouldn’t be about work. What would we do with our hours if we didn’t spend them at toil?

20 years of the minimum wage in UK
John_Little
Chads-r-us...

Theme: KF Blue (Default)

Mood: Confused

[*] Post 519630 posted on 6-8-2019 at 08:17 Reply With Quote

She's absolutely correct. We have Had both for ages with no ill effects whatsoever. It works and its right. Or the other way round.
Post new thread Poll:

Guest Notice
You are a guest, as a guest you can only see a maximum of 3 posts per thread.

If you want to see the rest, please click here to register.