Karl`s PC Help Forums Last active: Never
Not logged in [Login ]
Go To Bottom

In memory of Karl Davis, founder of this board, who made his final journey 12th June 2007

Printable Version | Subscribe | Add to Favourites   Post new thread Poll:
Author: Subject: If You're In The Mood For Some Mountain Climbing RR Pix
JackInCT
Custom User Title

Theme: KF Blue (Default)

Mood: No Mood

[*] Post 516818 posted on 6-1-2019 at 15:24 Reply With Quote
If You're In The Mood For Some Mountain Climbing RR Pix

Morant's Curve, Lake Louise, Alberta, Canada
Posted on railpictures.net-pix taken January 01, 2019
Photog Trevor VanRy
In/near Banff National Park

Caption doesn't say what cardinal direction (from where the pix was taken) those mountains are, their names, height, etc.,.

Doesnt' look like there's much snow for early Jan.

You're looking at the Canadian Rockies and I would imagine it gets pretty nippy there (so dress warm).

Search hits portray it as a major tourist spot all year round. I couldn't find a hit that gives an approx time as to how long it typically takes to climb to the summit of any of those mountains but if you're in the mood, does it really matter?

Oddly (I suppose) I couldn't find any hits of pixs taken from the summit; probably I would need the name of one of those peaks.

JackInCT has attached this image.
Click the image to enlarge it:

Click Image To Enlarge
John_Little
Chads-r-us...

Mood: Confused

[*] Post 516819 posted on 6-1-2019 at 15:49 Reply With Quote

Well, given that its obviously winter in Canada which is pretty north, then I'm inclined to discount the shadow as being either west or east depending on morning or evening because its daylight and more likely the sun is in the south. So, if I'm right, the camera must be in the east and the train approaching from the west.
-
JackInCT
Custom User Title

Mood: No Mood

[*] Post 516820 posted on 6-1-2019 at 20:40 Reply With Quote

Quote:
Originally posted by John_Little
So, if I'm right, the camera must be in the east and the train approaching from the west.

You've done your homework-good.

For those so inclined: rotating (360 degrees) webcam view (zoomed in) of the Lake Louise Ski Resort
https://skilouise.roundshot.com/ptarmigan/

Embedded image today (01/06)

Close up there's a good deal more snow than I thought (another site has a "depth measurement" meter.

Legend in URL webcam shows such things as zoom, direction camera is point in (right side).

The real good news is that ALL the bears are hibernating, and so the chances of you running into one while hiking around, even off the beaten path, is quite literally zero. Don't forget your compass!! [in case your smartphone doesn't have coverage]--OR if you're not proficient in using it while wearing heavy duty winter gloves. Reminder: mittens keep your hands warner than finger type gloves.

FYI: the embedded image looks fuzzy due to file size limitations; the webcam view is real clear, and I have zero idea what, if anything, you will see at night local time.

JackInCT has attached this image.
Click the image to enlarge it:

Click Image To Enlarge
Post new thread Poll:

Guest Notice
You are a guest, as a guest you can only see a maximum of 3 posts per thread.

If you want to see the rest, please click here to register.