Karl`s PC Help Forums Last active: Never
Not logged in [Login ]
Go To Bottom

In memory of Karl Davis, founder of this board, who made his final journey 12th June 2007

Printable Version | Subscribe | Add to Favourites   Post new thread Poll:
Author: Subject: What's The Real World Risk Of Temporarily Uninstalling An Antivirus Program
JackInCT
Custom User Title

Theme: KF Blue (Default)

Mood: No Mood

[*] Post 515942 posted on 15-11-2018 at 00:58 Reply With Quote
What's The Real World Risk Of Temporarily Uninstalling An Antivirus Program

Earlier this week I had a complete meltdown of my Win 7 Windows Updates; a "meltdown" in the sense that while the Updates window showed me that there were updates that I needed, when I clicked "OK", the progress bar went back & forth (and nothing but back & forth) for some time until I got a somewhat new screen/dialog window for Updates telling me that the updates "had failed" and offering me a button to "retry" (not seen that particular set up before).

Warm & cold reboots were to no avail, as well as running "scandisk".

A search of the problem produced umpteen hits from other end users with the same issue, and variations, on multiple Win OSs going back years. All kinds of "suggestions" exist to remedy the problem, none of which worked for me.

FYI: you cannot do Updates in Windows Safe Mode; but you can manually install KB...updates by going to the Windows Catalog site, finding the relevant update [one at a time of course-that MS's way of doing business], downloading it, and installing it. That route is 3-4 times longer than if Windows Updates works. That's what I did, and it worked, but it took a half-day to work all that out.

One suggestion was to disable the antivirus program (and by implication its firewall).

I have free Avast, and the only way to disable it would be, as far as I could see in its menu re there being no such option, would be to uninstall it. I even tried closing it out (the exe file and a few others in there) in Task Manager and it wouldn't allow me to do that.

My question for this topic is very simple: just what real world risk(s) exists for uninstalling the antivirus program for a while, and then work again with Updates, and do ZERO web browsing in the interim; and then after trying Updates (regardless of the outcome), do a fresh reinstall of the antivirus gear.
John_Little
Chads-r-us...

Mood: Confused

[*] Post 515943 posted on 15-11-2018 at 02:38 Reply With Quote

You can close avast. Right click on the icon in the task bar and choose close or exit. But doing it whilst windows updates shouldnt be a problem if you are not browsing.
JackInCT
Custom User Title

Mood: No Mood

[*] Post 515944 posted on 15-11-2018 at 02:42 Reply With Quote

Would some moderator please delete this topic as I've found a solution, by accident, that existed all along (so problem solved as far as I'm concerned).

FYI: in Free Avast there is in its icon in the Task Bar (right click) a drop down, nestle type choices in "Avast Shield Control" 4 choices for disabling it (basically how much time does the user want it disabled). There is no dialog window warning that doing so will put your PC at risk, so I'm going to presume that if there's any, they won't have coded that choice, and that it's minimal if there is since I won't be surfing, opening email, etc.,.

So I'll have to wait until next month to see if Windows Updates burps again and if it does I will try disabling Avast to see if that fixes the problem.

Thanks
Post new thread Poll:

Guest Notice
You are a guest, as a guest you can only see a maximum of 3 posts per thread.

If you want to see the rest, please click here to register.