Karl`s PC Help Forums Last active: Never
Not logged in [Login ]
Go To Bottom

In memory of Karl Davis, founder of this board, who made his final journey 12th June 2007

Printable Version | Subscribe | Add to Favourites   Post new thread Poll:
Author: Subject: It's Raining Down Under
JackInCT
Custom User Title

Theme: KF Blue (Default)

Mood: No Mood

[*] Post 515799 posted on 7-11-2018 at 22:10 Reply With Quote
It's Raining Down Under

Victoria Parade, Melbourne, Australia Victoria Parade November 06, 2018

ID Caption:
Citadis tram 3009 runs a route 109 service to Port Melbourne through floodwaters in Victoria Parade near Hoddle Street.

Me Here: note pantograph which means that it draws it power from overhead electrical lines. In the USA this type of a train, while it deserves the label "train" [once upon a time it would be called a "trolley"] would typically be labeled, officially, as a "light rail" rail system. Under ideal design circumstances this type of train would offer handicapped access, bicycle carrying, etc., i. e., identical to what a gasoline bus would offer. By the way, not all city buses in my area offer wheelchair access.

On a technical note: flooded tracks on my local electrified self-propelled commuter train system have some sort of a flood water level (and speed re wake generation) criteria since water can damage the electrical 'gizmos' underneath the train carriage which of course leads to out of service cars.

Can these kind of "trams" be designed in such a way that their electrical systems (if any) under the carriage be waterproofed is not something that I can speak to.

By the way, it's summertime down under I guess. Also I have no idea how widespread, etc., the flooding pictured in this pix is. I looked very closely at this pix and I don't see any gators so I guess it's safe to disembark at the next stop.

JackInCT has attached this image.
Click the image to enlarge it:

Click Image To Enlarge
LSemmens
Undercover MOD

Theme: Windows XP Silver

Mood: Gone crazy Back soon

[*] Post 515800 posted on 7-11-2018 at 23:01 Reply With Quote

No idea about when or where (in Melbourne) this piccie was taken. I live about 500 miles away and have little need to go there. It's still springtime here and changeable weather is the norm for this time of year so, it could be 39C one day and 19C the next.

I've no idea about the protections for the electro-mechanical components on these beasties either. FWIW we call these devices Trams and are our light rail systems only extensively found in Victoria and one small system in Adelaide South Aust.

No 'Gators in OZ, just Crocs, 'cause the Crocs ate all the 'Gators, 'cept it's a bit too cold for 'em this far south. They live across the top bit of Oz.
JackInCT
Custom User Title

Theme: KF Blue (Default)

Mood: No Mood

[*] Post 515805 posted on 8-11-2018 at 15:04 Reply With Quote

Quote:
Originally posted by LSemmens
'cept it's a bit too cold for 'em this far south.

Allow me to wrap ye olde head around this: as you go south in AU, it gets colder, rather than warmer as in does in the northern hemisphere--right? For some unfathomable reason that "notion" strikes me as incongruous, although the right side of my brain knows it's correct.
Post new thread Poll:

Guest Notice
You are a guest, as a guest you can only see a maximum of 3 posts per thread.

If you want to see the rest, please click here to register.