Karl`s PC Help Forums Last active: Never
Not logged in [Login ]
Go To Bottom

In memory of Karl Davis, founder of this board, who made his final journey 12th June 2007

Printable Version | Subscribe | Add to Favourites   Post new thread Poll:
Author: Subject: RRing Wrong Side Of The Tracks Pix
JackInCT
Custom User Title

Theme: KF Blue (Default)

Mood: No Mood

[*] Post 515060 posted on 28-9-2018 at 19:03 Reply With Quote
RRing Wrong Side Of The Tracks Pix

There is living on the wrong side of the tracks, and then there is really living on the wrong side of the tracks.

Consider this a 'slice of life' type topic.

Very little in the way of the pix ID caption re circumstances, but I call your attention to the boards between the rails which means that their driveway has to cross the tracks (and obviously the opposite direction must not be available).

And obviously when the homeowner(s) bought the house, he/she knew what they were getting themselves into re location.

No info re number of trains that pass by on daily basis, or their track speed.

It's safe to say that the owner(s) must be avid train spotters re the deck chairs; but I sure hope that the diesel exhaust from the locos as they pass by, including the diesel soot, meets health code standards, but I doubt if that's possible. I've known individuals who could sleep through anything during the night, and I suppose it's possible that the current resident(s) have such an ability.

And let's just hope there is not a nearby grade crossing and that they also have to put up with the diesel horn sounds. I wonder if they have any pets?

No word either on whether there is a basement; I would think that the vibration would destroy it; I would also bet that this house has some pretty sophisticated "anchors" system to keep the train vibrations from moving it around.

And note the 'For Sale' signs for anyone who just can't get RRing blood out of their veins. I'll pass.

JackInCT has attached this image.
Click the image to enlarge it:

Click Image To Enlarge
marymary100
Underwater Plumber

Theme: Iconic

Mood: fact me

[*] Post 515064 posted on 28-9-2018 at 19:14 Reply With Quote

An 18 year old was killed by a train which ran alongside his house in a village near where I live. Familiarity bred distraction. He was so used to it that he paid it no mind going home for lunch.
JackInCT
Custom User Title

Theme: KF Blue (Default)

Mood: No Mood

[*] Post 515066 posted on 28-9-2018 at 19:34 Reply With Quote

Situational awareness is NOT a learned skill.

Even if the driver doesn't sound the horn, or the train's bell is not ringing, the approaching vibration and the noise jars you.

I would venture a guess that the accident investigation choose not to deduce that he tried to beat the train's arrival and lost his 'bet' that he could pull it off. That's a common conclusion of many grade crossing accidents where the grade crossing has warning signals/lights/bells and crossing arms yet the vehicle's driver is willing to risk it all by failing to stop. Many grade crossing arms cover only the travel direction of the road (1/2 the crossing) so it's not impossible to swerve around it, and the one on the other side and cross the tracks.

When you see vids of such events, I find myself wondering if it's some kind of a 'chicken' type head game for the driver to see if they can pull it off (a variant on a Russian roulette mentality)
Post new thread Poll:

Guest Notice
You are a guest, as a guest you can only see a maximum of 3 posts per thread.

If you want to see the rest, please click here to register.