Karl`s PC Help Forums Last active: Never
Not logged in [Login ]
Go To Bottom

In memory of Karl Davis, founder of this board, who made his final journey 12th June 2007

Printable Version | Subscribe | Add to Favourites   Post new thread Poll:
Author: Subject: Registry Listing Question
JackInCT
Custom User Title

Theme: KF Blue (Default)

Mood: No Mood

[*] Post 514674 posted on 5-9-2018 at 04:13 Reply With Quote
Registry Listing Question

I paid a visit to Registry which I had not done for quite some time.

I immediately spotted a never seen before set of listings, i. e., I would have remembered seeing something like that during a previous visit.

What I saw is in the embedded image.

I reviewed the Character Map stuff, but Character map has a rather large number of characters, and I didn't spot any of what I saw in Registry, but it would be rather easy to miss seeing such highly unusual "shaped" characters given the large number of non-alphanumeric characters/symbols in Character Map.

Anyone have any idea what the significance is of the characters in the image? If you enlarge the image, you can see these characters a bit better. Each of the 5 listings have pretty much the same values listed.

JackInCT has attached this image.
Click the image to enlarge it:

Click Image To Enlarge
marymary100
Underwater Plumber

Theme: Iconic

Mood: fact me

[*] Post 514675 posted on 5-9-2018 at 05:42 Reply With Quote

HKEY_CURRENT_USER is a link to the registry hive of the user that is currently logged on. To find this hive manually, navigate to HKEY_USERS and select the registry with your security identifier (SID) (to find out this go into command prompt and enter wmic useraccount get name,sid - it will be to the right of your username).
Once in this registry hive, does it look the same as HKEY_CURRENT_USER? If not then it's most probably corruption. If it is the same then try logging in as a different user and checking HKEY_CURRENT_USER to see if the same, unusual registries are there.

Run Windows defender, if you use Windows, Avast etc. Some Asian shopping sites use similar characters but only you will know if you do that sort of thing.

I guess you are savvy enough to do a back up then delete these files if push comes to shove?
John_Little
Chads-r-us...

Theme: KF Blue (Default)

Mood: Confused

[*] Post 514676 posted on 5-9-2018 at 07:18 Reply With Quote

I didnt see it till i enlarged it. Those chinese characters are a bit odd.
Post new thread Poll:

Guest Notice
You are a guest, as a guest you can only see a maximum of 3 posts per thread.

If you want to see the rest, please click here to register.