Karl`s PC Help Forums Last active: Never
Not logged in [Login ]
Go To Bottom

In memory of Karl Davis, founder of this board, who made his final journey 12th June 2007

Printable Version | Subscribe | Add to Favourites   Post new thread Poll:
Author: Subject: I want to associate files with Open Office 4
scholar
Knowledge of Ages

Theme: KF Blue (Default)

Mood: pensive

[*] Post 513902 posted on 19-7-2018 at 17:02 Reply With Quote
I want to associate files with Open Office 4

I don't have the Microsoft office product (just MS Wordpad and MS Notepad). AbiWord didn't suit me for a couple of reasons (especially the way the print preview did not match printer output). I have picked Open Office and used it steadily for a while now.

I still use file managers, and would like to associate files which Open Office can handle, to use it. When I installed AbiWord, it took the files it could use as associated for itself. E.g. if I click on a doc file on a list, Abiword starts running and opens it. So, to get it to open in Open Office, I have to have Open Office running and go through the open file process from the Open Office menu.

When I try to take an extension presently associated with Abiword, to associate with another program, I get a long list of possible programs. They are in the form that shows the directory tree down to the executable file name, I thing (not a cheerful icon picture that covers what is going on). I have the impression that the list is a dumb list (by which I mean, it does not exclude programs that would not open the candidate file type). More than one is listed for Open Office; I take that to mean that different parts of Open Office execute with different file types.

I am cautious, and do not want to make a mistake which associates a file type with a part of Open Office that won't use it properly. I fear that I won't be able to set things back the way they were.

I am considering re-installing Open Office, with the thought that it might give me the option of associating the files that it can handle to itself as part of the installation. That is how Abiword got what it now has.

I won't ask, "What would you do?" exactly, because some of you are far beyond me now. Think of me as the person from out of the area who asks for directions, and you want to give him the easiest route to follow that leads to Open Office associations.
Katzy
Anything you like

Theme: Coffee

Mood: Fintlewoodlewix.

[*] Post 513910 posted on 19-7-2018 at 20:41 Reply With Quote

Can you not select a file, right-click and select "Open with" and select Open Office as the default?

Or, is that too simplistic?
scholar
Knowledge of Ages

Theme: KF Blue (Default)

Mood: pensive

[*] Post 513917 posted on 19-7-2018 at 22:24 Reply With Quote

Quote:
Originally posted by Katzy
Can you not select a file, right-click and select "Open with" and select Open Office as the default?

Or, is that too simplistic?

It worked! It worked! Hallelujah!
cheerieleadercheerieleadercheerieleadercheerieleader
It took me a few minutes, because my file manager (Total Commander) does not give me that option. I had to find whatever passes for Windows Explorer now. And, at first I thought I would have to choose Open Office every time. But, I clicked on another doc file and it, too, opened in Open Office, even though I chose it from Total Commander (which, incidentally, still had the visual marker for AbiWord on it--for the last time, since it will refresh to another marker when I open it again).

That is such a quick solution, that I may remember it.

And, it gave me a smart list--it looked as if the choices for association were only ones that could possibly work, not the whole laundry list of executable files.
Post new thread Poll:

Guest Notice
You are a guest, as a guest you can only see a maximum of 3 posts per thread.

If you want to see the rest, please click here to register.