Karl`s PC Help Forums Last active: Never
Not logged in [Login ]
Go To Bottom

In memory of Karl Davis, founder of this board, who made his final journey 12th June 2007

Printable Version | Subscribe | Add to Favourites   Post new thread Poll:
Author: Subject: Epson all-in-one printer
scholar
Knowledge of Ages

Theme: KF Blue (Default)
Member Is Online

Mood: pensive

[*] Post 512462 posted on 16-4-2018 at 19:44 Reply With Quote
Epson all-in-one printer

One of my congregations gave me a used Epson all-in-one printer (they used to have a scanner, making it a copier, and a fax in the same box--do they still do faxes?) to use if I were unable to get my regular HP printer going again (which I did, thanks to a fix-it program that MaryMary directed me to some time back).

The HP prints, but does not scan, and there are certainly times I would like to scan something to be able to print copies of it.

However, I don't really want to be buying ink cartridges for two machines. Out of cheapness, I haven't even been buying color ink cartridges for the HP.

Before I do to the effort of hooking it up and installing drivers, can anyone tell me if common standards have been set so that I scan with the Epson, save the image on the computer, and then print it with the HP? It would certainly make sense. It has been a long time since I owned a scanner, and it was a scan-only device.
JackInCT
Custom User Title

Mood: No Mood

[*] Post 512474 posted on 16-4-2018 at 22:40 Reply With Quote

Quote:
Originally posted by scholar
The HP prints, but does not scan, and there are certainly times I would like to scan something to be able to print copies of it.

One of the major advantages of a scan is to scan a govt/legal form of some sort, and then turn the scanned image file into a PDF file [worth the extra time to have the scan file in an uncompressed image file format like TFF], and fill in the form(s) with the keyboard, rather than with handwriting. Typing in the various blocks/lines on the form removes penmanship issues, although obviously it slows down completing the form. When the form is done, you do wind up with a file that can be archived, and likely needs to be saved on multiple backup sources like different flash drives just in case there's a problem/disagreement/etc.,. I even have a cursive handwritten signature image file that I overlay on the PDF file--who's going to know that I didn't actually sign it? In the same vein, when I get a form in the mail, I scan it making sure that the scan file canvas size is the exact size of the form, convert it to pdf, double check the size one final time, do a printout (highest resolution print setting), and mail it in. Once again who's going to know that it's not the same piece of paper that was sent to me in the mail. I have a laserjet printer and certainly the quality of the printout is better than with an inkjet (on each printer highest resolution setting).

If the recipient of the form "notices" that it's not the same piece of paper, than IF/WHEN they complain, a simple 'you didn't tell me that I couldn't do that' should get you off the hook (there's always the possibility of hidden watermark issues, and possibly other security measures, with paper forms). There's also having form(s) notarized for extremely important forms, and worth the expense re keeping hanky-panky at bay.
scholar
Knowledge of Ages

Member Is Online

Mood: pensive

[*] Post 512475 posted on 17-4-2018 at 00:40 Reply With Quote

With your experience, Jack, perhaps you know the answer to my simpler issue--can I be confident that the Epson all-in-one will scan and save to some common image format that the HP printer will print at same size for me (or close enough to make no difference)?

From years ago, I remember a time that I had an image file of some sort that I tried to print on an ordinary printer. It was SO LARGE that only a little of it fit on the paper, with the rest cut off in some way.:(
Post new thread Poll:

Guest Notice
You are a guest, as a guest you can only see a maximum of 3 posts per thread.

If you want to see the rest, please click here to register.