Karl`s PC Help Forums Last active: Never
Not logged in [Login ]
Go To Bottom

In memory of Karl Davis, founder of this board, who made his final journey 12th June 2007

Printable Version | Subscribe | Add to Favourites   Post new thread Poll:
Author: Subject: How To Remove An Empty Partition
JackInCT
Custom User Title

Theme: KF Blue (Default)

Mood: No Mood

[*] Post 512227 posted on 3-4-2018 at 21:38 Reply With Quote
How To Remove An Empty Partition

I needed some additional storage on my secondary desktop PC.
The primary HD for long forgotten reasons, I had split into two partitions (the 2nd partition with a much smaller capacity on it was NOT an OS install); I then added a 2nd large capacity HD, and then copied what was on the small primary partition HD to the new extra storage HD; I then erased this small partition, but doing the erasure did not automatically combine this small, now empty partition, with the major large partition.

I'm not remembering how to combine both partitions on this primary HD via my Win 7 Disk Management gear. The embedded image show what I have now.

So just how do I get rid of that 20+ Gig partition, or to put it another way, how do I combine it with the 260 Gig partition?

JackInCT has attached this image.
Click the image to enlarge it:

Click Image To Enlarge
LSemmens
Undercover MOD

Theme: Windows XP Silver

Mood: Gone crazy Back soon

[*] Post 512235 posted on 4-4-2018 at 07:59 Reply With Quote

You will need a third party partition manager to pull such a stunt. It would be far safer to make a back up (you know - those things that we all never seem to get around to) blow everything away and start again. Then, you can use Windoze own partitioning tools. Resizing partitions can be a risky option anyway.
JackInCT
Custom User Title

Theme: KF Blue (Default)

Mood: No Mood

[*] Post 512247 posted on 4-4-2018 at 13:27 Reply With Quote

You're right; for 20 gigs it would be simply be easier all around to buy a flash drive of that capacity, and use that; or as alternative, format it, if possible, and use it like it was originally.

I posted this being more interested in discovering the existence of a "fail-safe" piece of gear. Once upon a time, long, long ago, I think that the name was "Partition Magic" and it, at least on paper, gave you the option of COMPLETELY reversing a messed up partition creation [10+ years ago]. No longer being made, and it was not free. The expense was "tempered" by the fact that it was a seldom, and likely rarely, used piece of gear. It was one of those tech "accomplishments" that if Windows really cared about home users, it would be incorporated into their OSs, i. e., Windows doesn't hesitate to buy out other companies so why not Partition Magic.
Post new thread Poll:

Guest Notice
You are a guest, as a guest you can only see a maximum of 3 posts per thread.

If you want to see the rest, please click here to register.