Karl`s PC Help Forums Last active: Never
Not logged in [Login ]
Go To Bottom

In memory of Karl Davis, founder of this board, who made his final journey 12th June 2007

Printable Version | Subscribe | Add to Favourites   Post new thread Poll:
Author: Subject: LINUX Gurus PLEEEEEEEEZE HELP!!! File owner probs
LSemmens
Undercover MOD

Theme: Windows XP Silver

Mood: Gone crazy Back soon

[*] Post 512034 posted on 22-3-2018 at 13:46 Reply With Quote
LINUX Gurus PLEEEEEEEEZE HELP!!! File owner probs

I've finally ditched windoze and am attempting to set up my file shares in Linux Mint. The problem I am having is that I cannot take ownership of some of the stuff I need to share.

sudo chown -R -H leigh:/media/documents or any variants on that path just reports

chown: missing operand after 'leigh:/media/documents'
Try 'chown --help' for more information

chown --help was less than forthcoming. Currently /media/documents is owned by 'root'

WHAT AM I DOING WRONG???? I thought this was supposed to be simpleconfused2confused2confused2
JackInCT
Custom User Title

Theme: KF Blue (Default)

Mood: No Mood

[*] Post 512036 posted on 22-3-2018 at 14:35 Reply With Quote

I have Mint on one of my HDs.

Don't just about all Linux distros have a "community" forum that you can post to (via the Mint home page, etc.,).

I have found doing a Google INTERNET type search absolutely worthless re a Linux issue--the very large number of distros I would think has diluted focused hits re a specific problem on a specific distro, i. e., very few, often no hits. Even community forums searches often turn up zilch. And of course there is the problem of 'piggyback' distros where I find it's really hard to tell just how much a given distro has borrowed its gear [I think that "forked" is the operative term] from another distro (often Ubuntu) which in turn affects whether someone's solution is actually applicable to the one that you're having the problem with.

The problem solving hits issues is IMO Linux's biggest shortcoming, at least as compared to Windows OSs where you get tons of hits re a given issue [not that there isn't a risk that the solver is clueless/dead wrong].
LSemmens
Undercover MOD

Theme: Windows XP Silver

Mood: Gone crazy Back soon

[*] Post 512044 posted on 22-3-2018 at 22:58 Reply With Quote

I am asking questions on a Linux Mint forum, this is related to an active thread that I have running at present, where I am attempting to set up file sharing. A question like this in that thread, whilst related, is likely to get lost, though I have asked it. SO far I have wasted 2 days trying to convince my file server that it is allowed to share documents and convince my lappie (which is my test bed) that it needs to automatically mount those shares. With no joy I might add.
Post new thread Poll:

Guest Notice
You are a guest, as a guest you can only see a maximum of 3 posts per thread.

If you want to see the rest, please click here to register.