Karl`s PC Help Forums Last active: Never
Not logged in [Login ]
Go To Bottom

In memory of Karl Davis, founder of this board, who made his final journey 12th June 2007

Printable Version | Subscribe | Add to Favourites   Post new thread Poll:
Author: Subject: Sir Roger Bannister
marymary100
Underwater Plumber

Theme: Iconic

Mood: fact me

[*] Post 511806 posted on 4-3-2018 at 11:54 Reply With Quote
Sir Roger Bannister

BBC

Quote:

Sir Roger Bannister, the first person to run a mile in under four minutes, has died at the age of 88.
His time of three minutes 59.4 seconds, set at Iffley Road sports ground in Oxford on 6 May 1954, stood as a record for just 46 days but his place in athletics history was assured.
Bannister also won gold over the same distance at the 1954 Commonwealth Games and later became a leading neurologist.
JackInCT
Custom User Title

Theme: KF Blue (Default)

Mood: No Mood

[*] Post 511807 posted on 4-3-2018 at 20:44 Reply With Quote

Once upon a time long, long ago, in what at this point seems to have occurred in another life, I was an avid 6 days a week, an hour per outing, regardless/heedless of weather, a jogger.

Individuals like Mr Bannister were in the vanguard of the aerobics movement, and both helped launch and inspire millions to exercise.

It is one thing to run, and quite another entirely, to run fast, especially re creating the self-induced motivation to try.

Coming to terms, admittedly begrudgingly, with the limitations of one's body, especially as one ages and one's body becomes decrepit, is an impossible task, but at the very least, people like Mr Bannister have helped along the way for one to learn to accept reality (but not necessarily gracefully).

One of the least talked about aspects that Mr Bannister and his 'movement' brought to the forefront, was the role of competition and rivalry in one's personal world as there were always peers that could run like the wind, and superficially with apparent ease. One's betters are one betters, and wishing otherwise is a very hard lesson to learn re being a total waste of emotional energy that could, and should, be put to better use.

Roger, Over And Out!
marymary100
Underwater Plumber

Theme: Iconic

Mood: fact me

[*] Post 511808 posted on 4-3-2018 at 20:49 Reply With Quote

I was more interested in his profession to be honest. I was never a runner, more of a team player, but he ran out of duty to try and repay the loyalty of those disappointed by his lack of medal in the previous Olympics.
Post new thread Poll:

Guest Notice
You are a guest, as a guest you can only see a maximum of 3 posts per thread.

If you want to see the rest, please click here to register.