Karl`s PC Help Forums Last active: Never
Not logged in [Login ]
Go To Bottom

In memory of Karl Davis, founder of this board, who made his final journey 12th June 2007

Printable Version | Subscribe | Add to Favourites   Post new thread Poll:
Author: Subject: California OKs Autonomous Car Testing Without Backup Drivers
JackInCT
Custom User Title

Theme: KF Blue (Default)

Mood: No Mood

[*] Post 511726 posted on 27-2-2018 at 03:43 Reply With Quote
California OKs Autonomous Car Testing Without Backup Drivers

These "regs" are suppose to go into effect April 2.

"Driverless cars will be tested in California for the first time without a person behind a steering wheel under new rules approved Monday for the fast-developing technology."

"The vehicles will no longer need to have drivers inside during tests, but people will still be in charge. Under the regulations, driverless cars being tested on public roads must have a remote operator monitoring at all times, ready to take over as needed. The remote operator must also be able to communicate with police as well as any passengers in the event of an accident.

Law enforcement must provide permission to test on local roads and be provided with routes the cars will take."

Me Here: the "rule" that law enforcement must provide permission...does NOT specify in any hit what, IF ANY, the permission criteria must consist of.

Anyone interested in this tech should really do a search cause the hits I've come across are as vague as can be on critical details--for instance, (1) NOT WORD ONE on what kind of weather these tests can be done in, etc.,. (2) if the connection to the remote operator is broken, what do these rules say that the car does then, & (3) and of course the most important rule of all, will the route/time be published in advance so that I can take an alternate route to work?

Joke of the day: what did the autonomous car driving in one direction say to another autonomous car driving in the opposite direction: would you like to see my emergency flashers? What's so special about them? They're cardboard cutouts of nude adults.
LSemmens
Undercover MOD

Theme: Windows XP Silver

Mood: Gone crazy, Back soo

[*] Post 511741 posted on 28-2-2018 at 07:04 Reply With Quote

I believe they've been testing some around here, too. I think it's a good thing, but, the transition is going to be slow and arduous. There are too many "skilled" (in the loosest sense of the term) drivers on the road who think that they can out think a machine, and will want to prove it.
JackInCT
Custom User Title

Theme: KF Blue (Default)

Mood: No Mood

[*] Post 512016 posted on 19-3-2018 at 20:11 Reply With Quote

CNN Article

Uber self-driving car kills pedestrian in first fatal autonomous crash by Matt McFarland @mattmcfarland March 19, 2018: 1:40 PM ET

Uber has removed its self-driving cars from the roads following what is believed to be the first fatality involving a fully autonomous car.

A self-driving Uber SUV struck and killed 49-year-old Elaine Herzberg as she walked her bicycle across a street in Tempe, Arizona, Sunday night, according to the Tempe police. The department is investigating the crash.

A driver was behind the wheel of the Volvo XC90 SUV at the time, the police said.

"The vehicle involved is one of Uber's self-driving vehicles," the Tempe police said in a statement. "It was in autonomous mode at the time of the collision, with a vehicle operator behind the wheel."

Autonomous mode means the car is driving on its own. During tests, a person sits behind the wheel as a safeguard.

Uber is conducting tests of autonomous vehicles in Arizona, Pittsburgh, Toronto and other areas. Uber said it has stopped testing the vehicles throughout the United States and Canada.

Me Here: there is now an 11th commandment, effective immediately:

In order to remain competitive, thou shall not stifle innovation.

So sayeth out lords and masters, Amen!
Post new thread Poll:

Guest Notice
You are a guest, as a guest you can only see a maximum of 3 posts per thread.

If you want to see the rest, please click here to register.