Karl`s PC Help Forums Last active: Never
Not logged in [Login ]
Go To Bottom

In memory of Karl Davis, founder of this board, who made his final journey 12th June 2007

Printable Version | Subscribe | Add to Favourites   Post new thread Poll:
Author: Subject: Bangladesh Religious Festival & RR Pix
JackInCT
Custom User Title

Theme: KF Blue (Default)

Mood: No Mood

[*] Post 511719 posted on 26-2-2018 at 22:17 Reply With Quote
Bangladesh Religious Festival & RR Pix

Dhaka, Bangladesh

January 24, 2010
Pix ID Caption

"I would guess that the train was traveling at around 30mph. 2712 heads a train of pilgrims returning from the Biswa Ijtema Festival at Tongi, bound for Dhaka."

Me here: there are numerous pixs of this type all over the web taken in Bangladesh to include uTube vids. The festival name would do for search words.

I'm not recalling if there are other annual type religious festivals (in Bangladesh) with similar transportation 'arrangements', to include whether this particular one is only an annual (as opposed to say, biannual) event.

And no, I don't know if the folks on top are expected to purchase a ticket. And I don't know if there are casualties [per annum], and if there are, how many. And the photog's speed estimate is likely accurate based on my uTube vids views re an eyeball estimate. And I have no idea what the govt's official "position" on this is given there can be do doubt that they know what's going on; ditto re why they don't run more trains.

JackInCT has attached this image.
Click the image to enlarge it:

Click Image To Enlarge
Nimuae
Rajkumari

Theme: KF Blue

Mood: Enigmatic !

[*] Post 511720 posted on 26-2-2018 at 22:34 Reply With Quote

Good grief - was that train actually able to move ??
JackInCT
Custom User Title

Theme: KF Blue (Default)

Mood: No Mood

[*] Post 511721 posted on 27-2-2018 at 00:00 Reply With Quote

Quote:
Originally posted by Nimuae
Good grief - was that train actually able to move ??

See for yourself:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HvZGfykJ_PI

No idea if the still pix that I posted and the vid is one and the same train, but it appears that my pix is NOT some isolated instance, i. e., it occurs at least once annually [based on upload dates and ID captions].

Diesel locos have exhaust vents (and not just for the motor's carbon monoxide exhaust either); I presume that they could be on top of the loco, but maybe not; but if they are, it just has to be quite "warm" for anyone either on top of one, or close to one if they are all on the side-to say the least.

To make a bad situation even worse, all American locos have an "emergency stop" activation system in the control cab--maximum braking. A typical scenario would be an obstruction on the track, to include a common one of a vehicle either broken down at a grade crossing, or a vehicle actually struck at a grade crossing, and the engineer activates emergency braking. That's not likely, hopefully, in this case cause everyone on top will go flying off I would think. But a more likely scenario, at a level of a complete guess, is that the original loco emergency brake system no longer works.
Post new thread Poll:

Guest Notice
You are a guest, as a guest you can only see a maximum of 3 posts per thread.

If you want to see the rest, please click here to register.