Karl`s PC Help Forums Last active: Never
Not logged in [Login ]
Go To Bottom

In memory of Karl Davis, founder of this board, who made his final journey 12th June 2007

Printable Version | Subscribe | Add to Favourites   Post new thread Poll:
Author: Subject: Taxes pay for
marymary100
Underwater Plumber

Theme: Iconic

Mood: fact me

[*] Post 511511 posted on 14-2-2018 at 10:04 Reply With Quote
Taxes pay for

however many years of education your youngsters get

healthcare

transportation links

emergency services

refuse collection

arts and library services

defence

infrastructure

pensions

and yet we are letting businesses get off without paying into the coffers.

In Oz

in UK

in US
JackInCT
Custom User Title

Theme: KF Blue (Default)

Mood: No Mood

[*] Post 511514 posted on 14-2-2018 at 19:58 Reply With Quote

Quote:
Originally posted by marymary100
...and yet we are letting businesses get off without paying into the coffers...

You do realize that any taxes a business pays is passed on/added on to the price of their goods and services.

Here is the USA businesses do pay property taxes to the local municipality that they are located in (for those businesses that actually own the land they are located on); that amount is based on the mill rate of that muni; how a local municipality computes the value (assessed) of a business for the mill rate---ask me no questions and I tell you no lies.

The corporate HQ for GE was, once upon a time, in the next town. GE decided to move to Boston. GE's property paid the town's largest property tax. After the move to Boston, a local university bought the property, and guess what--no more property tax for the town for that land (NOT just the land, mind you, but the building(s) on it too).

In New Haven, home of Yale U, a non-profit organization if there ever was one (ahem-cough-cough), they make a "voluntary" payment (and I'm not remembering what it's called) every year to the town. I don't know if it's the town largest employer, BUT if Yale ever decided to move, it would turn New Haven into a virtual ghost town re the unemployment rate [NOT everything associated with Yale is a non-profit incorporated entity--you would likely need a very lengthy in-service training type seminar to understand everything that Yale "owns"/CONTROLS--if you were to look in the dictionary for "empire building", you would see a picture of Yale--upstate they own a forest--who knew they had a 'forestry dept'?].
marymary100
Underwater Plumber

Theme: Iconic

Mood: fact me

[*] Post 511515 posted on 14-2-2018 at 20:20 Reply With Quote

I do realise that companies which pay their shareholders billions can afford to pay into the system of the country where they operate. If my taxes were reduced because they did so I would have more to pay for their goods.
Post new thread Poll:

Guest Notice
You are a guest, as a guest you can only see a maximum of 3 posts per thread.

If you want to see the rest, please click here to register.