Karl`s PC Help Forums Last active: Never
Not logged in [Login ]
Go To Bottom

In memory of Karl Davis, founder of this board, who made his final journey 12th June 2007

Printable Version | Subscribe | Add to Favourites   Post new thread Poll:
Author: Subject: Inversion therapy
scholar
Knowledge of Ages

Theme: KF Blue (Default)

Mood: pensive

[*] Post 511230 posted on 27-1-2018 at 03:15 Reply With Quote
Inversion therapy

http://www.teeter.com/hang-ups/

A few friends from one of my congregations have these and speak very highly of them. For Ruby's back pain, I ordered the most expensive one (it has accessories which my friends say are important to have, and which cost more to purchase separately).

Right now, there is a $14.95 30-day trial. So, if it doesn't seem to be helping sufficiently, I can send it back with an acceptable loss. However, the deluxe package that I got billed me for an extra $100 in the initial payment, which I will get back if I exercise the return option.

I'm told it feels good, and a person who uses it regularly will be measurably taller, in addition to the pain-relief aspect.

Ruby hates the back pain, but we really don't want to do surgery. Surgery doesn't always help, it involves some risks, and a diabetic heals/recovers more slowly than others.

Our insurance has declined to authorize the MRI that the doctor says she wants to take to identify the best approach. Ruby did have an MRI a few years ago, and was told she has arthritis in her spine. As I understand it, that does not point to surgery for a remedy.

I have also thought that Ruby might benefit from a well-fitted back brace. She had an off-the-shelf one some years ago and didn't like the way it fit against her ribs. But, I wonder if something better could be found for her.

Has anybody had experience in this area that you would care to share?
JackInCT
Custom User Title

Theme: KF Blue (Default)

Mood: No Mood

[*] Post 511232 posted on 27-1-2018 at 04:17 Reply With Quote

Quote:
Originally posted by scholar
I have also thought that Ruby might benefit from a well-fitted back brace.

There is a good deal of varying definitions of the specific details here.

There are highly specialized hospitals with significant outpatient services that are known, label wise, by various terminologies, and to add to possible confusion, local community based general hospitals often offers what it claims are "comparable" services.

Rehab oriented hospitals offer state of the art in orthopedics, orthotics, and the list goes on and on re specialties for long term chronic issues; and I haven't even mentioned such services for those with amputations. It is very difficult to use pigeonhole type labels for these kinds of places, and even more difficult to decide just how much better, if at all, than what your local community based general hospital has to offer. And the confusion only grows if you ask a primary care physician about the choices because it's not unheard of that their practice seldom sees patients who have been to such facilities who have major overwhelmingly difficult medical problems; and such patients are a very small segment of their caseload (and throw in a no home visit policy for their practice if that's applicable).

As one TINY example, Connecticut's outstanding facility, Gaylord Hospital, has a program utilizing the Ekso Bionic Exoskeleton. I wouldn't be surprised if my primary care physician has never had a patient with one, for no other reason than there is likely no more than a handful of patients in the entire state with one.

The issues your describe are directly affected by the drive time to such a facility; Gaylord is about an hour's drive one way from where I live. Pretty much a whole day affair.

If you decide to look into this, besides web searches, there is of course insurance payment issues.

Perhaps a starting point would be someone you know well enough, as one possibility, who had a stroke, and is now using a wheelchair full time and living at home, and where they got services from AFTER the first discharge from the community hospital; NOT necessarily that they opted to go to such a place, but as important, what facilities were recommended to them for 'more advance services' that for whatever reason they decided not to avail themselves of that. Learning why they did NOT go to one place, is as important as how they based their decision to go somewhere else, and of course why they decided to forget about it entirely.
marymary100
Underwater Plumber

Theme: Iconic

Mood: fact me

[*] Post 511234 posted on 27-1-2018 at 10:27 Reply With Quote

I think Ruby should read the contraindications first. She has several of the risk factors.

for example
Post new thread Poll:

Guest Notice
You are a guest, as a guest you can only see a maximum of 3 posts per thread.

If you want to see the rest, please click here to register.