Karl`s PC Help Forums Last active: Never
Not logged in [Login ]
Go To Bottom

In memory of Karl Davis, founder of this board, who made his final journey 12th June 2007

Printable Version | Subscribe | Add to Favourites   Post new thread Poll:
Author: Subject: Breakfast with pseudo Dads
marymary100
Underwater Plumber

Theme: Iconic
Member Is Online

Mood: fact me

[*] Post 510839 posted on 5-1-2018 at 20:28 Reply With Quote
Breakfast with pseudo Dads

Source

Quote:

When school administrators at Dade Middle School in Dallas, TX, decided to organize a "Breakfast With Dad" event for their male students, they were nervous not enough fathers would actually show up. So to bolster the attendance rate, they put out a call for help on Facebook, asking for 50 men to come to the event as "stand-in" dads for students whose fathers couldn't make it or weren't present in their lives. And, well, they got a little more help than they ever bargained for.
The school's request spread like wildfire, and come the day of the event, 600 men from Northern Texas showed up to lend a helping hand. The volunteers did everything from engaging the boys in casual conversation to teaching them how to tie their ties.

A positive male role model is so important. I like stories like these.
JackInCT
Custom User Title

Theme: KF Blue (Default)

Mood: No Mood

[*] Post 510848 posted on 6-1-2018 at 02:02 Reply With Quote

In the USA there is a very old/established nationwide program called "Big Brothers-Big Sisters"; it is decades old.

http://www.bbbs.org/

The wiki is called "Big Brothers Big Sisters of America - Wikipedia"

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Big_Brothers_Big_Sisters_of_America

I didn't read the URLs so I don't know just how many paid staff there are, what kind of screening there is, etc., but it's certainly mostly volunteers.

Long ago, it was heavily publicized with radio/TV public service announcements; I haven't seen one of those in years and years.

Like any volunteer program, the actual operation varies from location to location, and likely changes overnight as volunteers come and go.

Based on my own life experiences with volunteers, there are huge problems with quality and the vetting of volunteers, i. e., police type background checks are anathema to volunteers.

I'm not recalling any scandals, but I didn't google that. But obviously there are major potential issues in every aspect of running such an operation that no screening process can detect beforehand, to include ground rules and whether they are being complied with is a practical impossibility.

I must admit that when I Google'd this, I was quite surprised that the organization still exists given the hurdles that have to be overcome in order to protect everyone as well as keep everyone "safe".
marymary100
Underwater Plumber

Theme: Iconic
Member Is Online

Mood: fact me

[*] Post 510853 posted on 6-1-2018 at 09:35 Reply With Quote

We have to have volunteers police checked here before they can be left with even teenagers. An event where there were teaching staff and lots of volunteers would follow the "safety in numbers" thought process.
Post new thread Poll:

Guest Notice
You are a guest, as a guest you can only see a maximum of 3 posts per thread.

If you want to see the rest, please click here to register.