Karl`s PC Help Forums Last active: Never
Not logged in [Login ]
Go To Bottom

In memory of Karl Davis, founder of this board, who made his final journey 12th June 2007

Printable Version | Subscribe | Add to Favourites   Post new thread Poll:
Author: Subject: Amtrak derailment tragedy
scholar
Knowledge of Ages

Theme: KF Blue (Default)

Mood: pensive

[*] Post 510728 posted on 31-12-2017 at 22:54 Reply With Quote
Amtrak derailment tragedy

Why did the train derail?
Three were killed and 50+ injured on the first full-speed run.

This author says that training to qualify engineers had 6 and more people in the control cab, which has seats and intended room for 2 people at a time, and training runs were conducted at night, when visual cues as to location on the route appear differently than in daylight. The derailment happened during the first full-speed run with passengers, which was during the daytime, and had one fully qualified man in the control cab and one training to be qualified.

Which leads to the question: if two qualified engineers with daytime experience on the run had been used, at least for this first day, might the wreck have been prevented? Or, might the speed have at least been reduced, making injury less severe?
JackInCT
Custom User Title

Mood: No Mood

[*] Post 510736 posted on 1-1-2018 at 04:29 Reply With Quote

Let's see who gets fired for this, and how far up the chain of command that happens to. I'm betting aside from the engineer (and that's not a certainty) it's ZERO.

I would include another cynical perspective that resignations, after a disaster, in the chain of command in the USA are unheard of. Interesting that's not usually the case in the USA military.

To be fair, there has never been in the USA media much in the way of follow up stories on that topic.

An exception: in 1983 the Mianus River Bridge (northbound lane) on I-95 in CT collapsed [I-95 is the major route between NYC & Boston]; 3 peoplewere killed, due in large measure that it occurred very early in morning (about 1:30 AM) [traffic was light]. The Hartford Courant newspaper assigned reporters to follow (surreptitiously) some St of CT (employees) divers whose job it was to inspect the pilings, etc., that were under water on state roads (looking especially for water that had undermined the pilings). I can't remember how many, but at least a few, when 'out on field work' weren't doing anything at all [I'm not remembering if they had signed off that the Mianus Bridge was in a good state/passed inspection]. They were photographed and the pixs were published. I fear that's a long bygone era re journalism.
John_Little
Chads-r-us...

Mood: Confused

[*] Post 510742 posted on 1-1-2018 at 11:49 Reply With Quote

We had a tram do a similar thing a while back. That was put down to taking a bend too fast, too.
Post new thread Poll:

Guest Notice
You are a guest, as a guest you can only see a maximum of 3 posts per thread.

If you want to see the rest, please click here to register.