Karl`s PC Help Forums Last active: Never
Not logged in [Login ]
Go To Bottom

In memory of Karl Davis, founder of this board, who made his final journey 12th June 2007

Printable Version | Subscribe | Add to Favourites   Post new thread Poll:
Author: Subject: Basic Income experiment
marymary100
Underwater Plumber

Theme: Iconic

Mood: fact me

[*] Post 510714 posted on 30-12-2017 at 22:24 Reply With Quote
Basic Income experiment

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-scotland-scotland-politics-41832065

Quote:

...What is a basic income system?
The basic income system is a radical redesign of tax and welfare - completely redrawing the relationship between the state and the citizen.
Under such a system, every individual would be given a cash payment at regular intervals, without any requirement to work or demonstrate a willingness to work. Several different figures have been suggested, mostly in the rough area of £100 a week for adults.
As the name suggests, it would be universal - paid out to every citizen regardless of their wealth, employment or personal status - and would be enough to cover the basics of life. It would serve as a replacement for existing benefits payments such as jobseeker's allowance.
The Royal Society for the Encouragement of Arts, Manufactures and Commerce (RSA), a charity which has undertaken extensive studies about basic income, call it "a basic platform on which people can build their lives - whether they want to earn, learn, care or set up a business".
Enthusiasm about the possibilities of a basic income has sprung up in several countries in recent years, but it is by no means a new idea. References to such a scheme date back as far as 1516, and have been debated by political theorists and philosophers ever since...
LSemmens
Undercover MOD

Theme: Windows XP Silver

Mood: Gone crazy, Back soo

[*] Post 510720 posted on 31-12-2017 at 05:17 Reply With Quote

I haven't read the entire article, but this has been around the block a few times, even down here. In theory, the idea is good, in practice, I wonder. For those who need it, it may not be enough, for those who don't, why should they get it? The intent is to allow those on low incomes to survive. In theory, that is good, but given that all will be given the "assistance", cuts to other govt services may well occur, to the detriment of those who truly need it. I dare say that prices will also rise across the board to "maintain the status quo".
Nimuae
Rajkumari

Theme: KF Blue

Mood: Enigmatic !

[*] Post 510722 posted on 31-12-2017 at 10:11 Reply With Quote

Frankly I think it is a silly idea - there are enough people who think the world owes them a living already. Why add more? I would review the whole 'benefit' system - kick out some of the idle scroungers and make them earn their hand-outs by sweeping street, weeding parks etc., Restore the idea that money has to be worked for !!
Post new thread Poll:

Guest Notice
You are a guest, as a guest you can only see a maximum of 3 posts per thread.

If you want to see the rest, please click here to register.