Karl`s PC Help Forums Last active: Never
Not logged in [Login ]
Go To Bottom

In memory of Karl Davis, founder of this board, who made his final journey 12th June 2007

Printable Version | Subscribe | Add to Favourites   Post new thread Poll:
Author: Subject: Preventing heat loss
scholar
Knowledge of Ages

Theme: KF Blue (Default)

Mood: pensive

[*] Post 510702 posted on 30-12-2017 at 16:33 Reply With Quote
Preventing heat loss

I want to reduce the loss in this house, to keep warmer and to cut down on heating bills.

I have felt cold air around several of the windows, and the back door.

I bought several "window insulation kits" that have clear plastic film and double-sided tape, for over the windows. If your window is already sound, it can work like an additional barrier of air-insulation.

Ruby asked a son to install the kits. I told him that I wanted him to use other tape over the gaps in the window frames, which seemed to be letting cold air in, before he put on the window kit layer.
John_Little
Chads-r-us...

Mood: Confused

[*] Post 510703 posted on 30-12-2017 at 16:39 Reply With Quote

Roof insulation is important. We have a double layer of 4 inch insulation in ours and it made a big difference.
scholar
Knowledge of Ages

Mood: pensive

[*] Post 510704 posted on 30-12-2017 at 16:42 Reply With Quote
M. didn't do it as I wished

The son didn't think the tape was necessary. Air was leaking through one window so badly that it blew the plastic off the double-sided tape.:smash)

He did another window without removing the air conditioner window unit that we use in the summer. So, he was trying to block winter air with a thin film of plastic, with the window half-way open. There was no inside or outside cover on the air conditioner!angrymad2

Yet another window, he covered the slat blinds with the plastic, instead of putting the plastic between the window and the blinds.confused2 That didn't work well, either, but was not as bad as the other two I mentioned.
Post new thread Poll:

Guest Notice
You are a guest, as a guest you can only see a maximum of 3 posts per thread.

If you want to see the rest, please click here to register.