Karl`s PC Help Forums Last active: Never
Not logged in [Login ]
Go To Bottom

In memory of Karl Davis, founder of this board, who made his final journey 12th June 2007

Printable Version | Subscribe | Add to Favourites   Post new thread Poll:
Author: Subject: Another shark species that glows in the dark discovered
scholar
Knowledge of Ages

Theme: KF Blue (Default)

Mood: pensive

[*] Post 510528 posted on 19-12-2017 at 21:44 Reply With Quote
Another shark species that glows in the dark discovered

https://www.theguardian.com/science/blog/2017/dec/19/glow-in-the-dark-sharks-discovered-in-hawaii-etmopterus-lailae

If the new shark follows the pattern found in the velvet belly lantern shark, the glow is controlled two ways, by hormones and by neurotransmitters, and the effect of each can be distinguished. The shark produces the light, itself--it doesn't glow with light captured from another source, such as sunlight.

When I read of such things, the idea that the creatures were cleverly designed fits well. The idea that the several kinds of photophores each evolved by accident, from creatures that did not have them, and that the velvet belly lantern shark randomly evolved photophores with dual control mechanisms which are useful for different purposes--that seems pretty far-fetched.
LSemmens
Undercover MOD

Theme: Windows XP Silver

Mood: Gone crazy, Back soo

[*] Post 510531 posted on 20-12-2017 at 01:56 Reply With Quote

I understand your thoughts, Scholar, I, too find it difficult to believe in the evolution of all living things from one primordial ectoplasm from Western Australia, of all places. Like who in their right mind would want to come from WA? :D

Still, our deepest oceans have many more surprises than we can imagine. It is still the least know area of our universe. We know more about our nearest stars than we know about our deepest oceans.
Post new thread Poll:

Guest Notice
You are a guest, as a guest you can only see a maximum of 3 posts per thread.

If you want to see the rest, please click here to register.