Karl`s PC Help Forums Last active: Never
Not logged in [Login ]
Go To Bottom

In memory of Karl Davis, founder of this board, who made his final journey 12th June 2007

Printable Version | Subscribe | Add to Favourites   Post new thread Poll:
Author: Subject: Hard Drive Computer Bay Form Factor Converter Nomenclature Question
Custom User Title

Posts: 2636
Registered: 21-4-2007
Theme: KF Blue (Default)
Member Is Offline

Mood: No Mood

[*] Post 510205 posted on 24-11-2017 at 17:55 Reply With Quote
Hard Drive Computer Bay Form Factor Converter Nomenclature Question

I have come into possession of two used 2.5" HDs that are 'encased' in that black housing that is visible in the embedded image. The purpose of that housing is to convert the 2.5" HD to fit into a 3.5" bay in a computer case.

I cannot remove the 2.5" HD from that converter for unknown reasons, i. e., the drive doesn't budge (not even a 'wiggle') at all when I attempt to slide it out of the housing.

So of course I then looked for bolts that attached the HD to the housing. There is nothing alongside the sides of the HD in the way of bolts/anything at all. On the bottom there are 3 hex bolts with recessed heads (NOT 100% sure that's the correct name for these kinds of bolts--they have a star shaped 6 sided configuration). I have a high quality set of hex screwdrivers (again their "official" name is not on their case) but I can't get these bolts to even begin to loosen.

A Google search indicates that this model drive comes standard with these bay converters, i. e., done by the factory not the end user. None of these drives that show up in a Google search give any indication AT ALL why that was done in the specs.

I am puzzled to know what to do next, and I'm beginning to wonder if this type of HD was designed to begin with NOT to be removable, but that doesn't seem to me to be "logical" to do something like that.

Does anyone know what the "official" nomenclature is for that black housing (it's certainly not "3.5" bay converter" via a Goggle search), AND has anyone ever attempted with a similar HD setup to remove the HD, and succeeded?

JackInCT has attached this image.
Click the image to enlarge it:

Click Image To Enlarge
View User's Profile View All Posts By User
Anything you like


Posts: 8239
Registered: 23-7-2002
Theme: Coffee
Member Is Offline

Mood: Fintlewoodlewix.

[*] Post 510208 posted on 24-11-2017 at 20:46 Reply With Quote

If you have the right screwdriver bit, can you get it to fit in something like a socket set? That's the first thing I'd try. I have a socket set designed for that very purpose, as it 'appens. The screw, itself, is a "Torx", I believe. Those ones could well be Torx 9. Most people call it a "Star" screw. Don't forget, there's likely to be a screw under one of the labels, too. So, make sure you remove that too.


If that's not an option, my second thought was an impact-driver. That might be a bit too much for the inner gubbins, though.

I'd simply call that a casing, myself.
View User's Profile View All Posts By User
Knowledge of Ages


Posts: 32767
Registered: 14-10-2004
Location: Illinois
Theme: KF Blue (Default)
Member Is Offline

Mood: pensive

[*] Post 510212 posted on 24-11-2017 at 22:19 Reply With Quote

Jack, it may be that the hardware is not designed to be removable. I've been told that some electronics is now glued together. :(

I hope you have success and prove that my idea does not apply here.
View User's Profile View All Posts By User
Post new thread Poll:

Guest Notice
You are a guest, as a guest you can only see a maximum of 3 posts per thread.

If you want to see the rest, please click here to register.