Karl`s PC Help Forums Last active: Never
Not logged in [Login ]
Go To Bottom

In memory of Karl Davis, founder of this board, who made his final journey 12th June 2007

Printable Version | Subscribe | Add to Favourites   Post new thread Poll:
Author: Subject: Sowing the seeds
marymary100
Underwater Plumber

Theme: Iconic

Mood: fact me

[*] Post 510124 posted on 18-11-2017 at 08:45 Reply With Quote
Sowing the seeds

My mother was forced to leave school despite her abilities to go and work to contribute to the family income and never quite got over it. I was the first generation to go to university and my mother continued to work and write which was her passion. It's not entirely coincidental that my daughter went on to do journalism, creative writing and law at uni.

When my mother died a few years ago I created two writing awards in her name which are not judged by me but I pay for the prizes.

I am now in a job which includes sending off university applications for pupils at the school and last week when checking over one personal statement came across my mother's name as the student had won the award the year before and also in junior school. I had a quiet sob and processed the application and sent it off.

I was delighted to hear yesterday that the pupil has an unconditional acceptance for Glasgow University to do English and is going to spend the rest of this academic year creating an exhibition for our local history institute about the power of words by using the testimonies and photographs of the survivors of Auschwitz.

This pupil will be the first generation of her family to get to university.

What seeds have you sown that you've lived long enough to see to fruition?
LSemmens
Undercover MOD

Theme: Windows XP Silver

Mood: Gone crazy, Back soo

[*] Post 510126 posted on 18-11-2017 at 10:16 Reply With Quote

Nothing quite as rewarding as this, Mary, but, in some ways, yes, just as rewarding.

In our time in Darwin we spent a lot of time and effort in assisting homeless youth. Our reward was that, on a subsequent visit to the town, on of the youths that we had personally helped, saw us in a shopping centre and came running up to us to proudly tell us that he now had a full time job and had given up the drugs (as far as we know it was only marijuana, but some of the others were on worse.)
marymary100
Underwater Plumber

Theme: Iconic

Mood: fact me

[*] Post 510127 posted on 18-11-2017 at 10:18 Reply With Quote

It's always wonderful to make a difference.
Post new thread Poll:

Guest Notice
You are a guest, as a guest you can only see a maximum of 3 posts per thread.

If you want to see the rest, please click here to register.