Karl`s PC Help Forums Last active: Never
Not logged in [Login ]
Go To Bottom

In memory of Karl Davis, founder of this board, who made his final journey 12th June 2007

Printable Version | Subscribe | Add to Favourites   Post new thread Poll:
Author: Subject: Kitchen fire at home
Knowledge of Ages


Posts: 32681
Registered: 14-10-2004
Location: Illinois
Theme: KF Blue (Default)
Member Is Offline

Mood: pensive

[*] Post 509134 posted on 26-8-2017 at 03:52 Reply With Quote
Kitchen fire at home

Yesterday, one of our grandchildren attempted to use our microwave. She read that the food items were to be heated in the oven for 12 minutes--but that was the instruction for conventional oven, not microwave oven. And, she used a plastic container (almost every microwave instruction starts out, "Heat in a microwave-save dish."

The plastic melted and burned. The smoke overcame Ruby to the point that she was down on the floor. The grandchildren made the mistake of opening the microwave oven door, which released the toxic smoke into the air, moare than it had already been. Ruby, with her COPD, dropped to the floor and felt as if she were choking. I got the oven outside and got the front and back doors of the house open, to ventilate. I fell asleep shortly thereafter.

I slept poorly, waking up at 1:30. I did go to work, but Ruby and the effects of the fire were on my mind. I asked the boss if I could leave to go home, and he said I could, that he had enough people to cover my work. (If several people had called in sick that day, he might have asked me to stay through the morning.)

With some effort, I found a quality used microwave oven for $40. The price at Walmart is $159 for this year's model, new. I bought it and brought it home. It heats faster than the microwave we had been using.
View User's Profile View All Posts By User
Undercover MOD


Posts: 32767
Registered: 19-11-2004
Location: Riverton, South Australia
Theme: Windows XP Silver
Member Is Offline

Mood: Gone crazy, Back soo

[*] Post 509136 posted on 26-8-2017 at 05:26 Reply With Quote

When all else fails "READ" the instructions, of course, UNDERSTANDING them might also go a long way too. I'm glad that everyone is ok and there was no real damage done. Has Ruby recovered yet. Stuff like that could see her struggling for quite some time and it may be worth getting her checked out just to make sure.
View User's Profile View All Posts By User


Posts: 11161
Registered: 20-12-2007
Location: Sarf East Lundun
Theme: KF Blue (Default)
Member Is Offline

Mood: Confused

[*] Post 509137 posted on 26-8-2017 at 07:30 Reply With Quote

Good news bad news, then. But all's well that ends,well. As Bill would say.
View User's Profile View All Posts By User
Post new thread Poll:

Guest Notice
You are a guest, as a guest you can only see a maximum of 3 posts per thread.

If you want to see the rest, please click here to register.