Karl`s PC Help Forums Last active: Never
Not logged in [Login ]
Go To Bottom

In memory of Karl Davis, founder of this board, who made his final journey 12th June 2007

Printable Version | Subscribe | Add to Favourites   Post new thread Poll:
Author: Subject: Hooking Up a 3.5" HD To A Laptop
JackInCT
Custom User Title

Theme: KF Blue (Default)

Mood: No Mood

[*] Post 355177 posted on 27-10-2008 at 23:28 Reply With Quote
Hooking Up a 3.5" HD To A Laptop

I have a question as to whether an idea is technically possible.

My laptop recently crashed and I wound up installing Windows XP OS via an install OS CD (from a desktop PC) that I have. The laptop did have what its manufacturer calls ‘recovery disks’ (which I created on blank DVDs the first time I turned on the machine), but due to my not reading the instructions, and then presuming they were defective, I went with the install OS CD.

I would like to ‘practice’ using the Recovery Discs on the laptop, but NOT doing anything that would change its existing HD setup; so I would like to TEMPORARILY disconnect the laptop’s 2.5" drive (SATA), & hook up a spare 3.5" HD to the laptop, and practice using the Recovery Discs.

I know I would need to find some sort of an adapter IDE cable to connect the 3.5" HD to the laptop’s 2.5" plug, but it’s the power supply setup that has me puzzled. Anyone have any ideas as to how I could pull this off.

By the way, I do have an external HD (with it’s own power supply), via a USB port, that I can use with the 3.5" HD, but wouldn’t that take me into the realm of creating a OS boot external HD which I have no idea how to work that.

Thanks.
Daz
Custom User Title

Theme: KPCH Default Blue

Mood: w00t - Lge1 :-))

[*] Post 355182 posted on 28-10-2008 at 00:52 Reply With Quote

Not used one myself, but I'd hazard a guess the HDD adapter would take care of the power issue for you, assuming that's it's possible to hook up a 3.5 drive... I know it's possible (via an adapter) to hook up a 2.5 drive to a PC...
View User's Profile View All Posts By User Daz's Aim This User Has MSN Messenger Daz's Yahoo
KOUROSH
Custom User Title

Theme: KF Blue (Default)

Mood: No Mood

[*] Post 355201 posted on 28-10-2008 at 08:33 Reply With Quote

there is what is know as HDD enclouser, try ebay about £5 to £7. you just insert it and use usb. the rest is softare expert i leave that to others
Post new thread Poll:

Guest Notice
You are a guest, as a guest you can only see a maximum of 3 posts per thread.

If you want to see the rest, please click here to register.