Karl`s PC Help Forums Last active: Never
Not logged in [Login ]
Go To Bottom

In memory of Karl Davis, founder of this board, who made his final journey 12th June 2007

Printable Version | Subscribe | Add to Favourites   Post new thread Poll:
Author: Subject: HP4100 printer not working
scholar
Knowledge of Ages

Theme: KF Blue (Default)

Mood: pensive

[*] Post 347705 posted on 31-8-2008 at 19:51 Reply With Quote
HP4100 printer not working

It is attached with a USB cable to a computer using Win98SE.

It worked fine until the last time I took the black ink cartridge into the photo department at the pharmacy to have it refilled. Since I put it back in, the printer has not printed anything I have commanded it to print.

I have tried switching from Microsoft Word (as part of the Windows Office Suite) to Microsoft Works, in case the problem was with the software program. No joy, neither program would print.

The legend, when I look at the printer information, says things that seem impossible, like "printing 11 out of 5 pages" or "printing 0 out of 5 pages".

I have always had a problem with this printer, in that it would not purge print documents properly. When I would instruct it to purge or delete jobs, it always stopped progressing after getting to the point where it reported it was deleting the print job.

What should I do now?confused2:comp)
Daz
Custom User Title

Theme: KPCH Default Blue

Mood: w00t - Lge1 :-))

[*] Post 347722 posted on 31-8-2008 at 21:26 Reply With Quote

I've never had any luck with Refills and gave up, and also gave up on HP, but that's irrelevant...!

I found this somewhere, for when I was having troubles with refills on my old HP... Not sure how much any of the information will have changed though, because this dates back some years now...

Quote:

1. Turn the printer on and lift the printer’s top cover. The ink cartridge carriage should move to the centre position.

2. Remove the cartridges. Examine the copper flex circuitry on the back of the cartridge and make sure this is intact and not damaged.

3. Unplug the printer from the power. This is important to reset the printer.

4. Wipe the copper coloured circuitry strip on the back of the cartridge with the dry, soft lint free cloth, using an upward motion. Do not wipe the nozzle of the cartridge or touch the nozzle plate. Wipe the contacts only once.

5. Carefully look for any fibres or contamination on the electrical contacts inside the carriage assembly. However do not wipe the printer contacts. The contacts can be damaged if too much pressure is applied. Carefully remove the fibres.

6. Plug the printer into the power source and turn on the printer. Place the ink cartridges into the carriage and lower the top cover.

7. Try printing again.

You may need to go through this procedure several times to reset.
View User's Profile View All Posts By User Daz's Aim This User Has MSN Messenger Daz's Yahoo
scholar
Knowledge of Ages

Theme: KF Blue (Default)

Mood: pensive

[*] Post 347726 posted on 31-8-2008 at 21:36 Reply With Quote

I'll give that a try, Daz, and see what happens.

If the problem is directly from the printer cartridge circuitry, I am amazed that it would somehow be telling the printing program that it is printing page 11 out of 5.shocked_yellow

Hmmm. This is a dual printer, capable of using either the tricolor cartridge or the black ink cartridge, which are side-by-side. Logically, I'm thinking I could take out the refilled black cartridge, and then try to print something in color (perhaps a picture) to see if it works OK. If color is fine, then I must indeed have a refilled black cartridge that is causing the problem. (I did not assume causality--sometimes, coincidences do happen.):)
Post new thread Poll:

Guest Notice
You are a guest, as a guest you can only see a maximum of 3 posts per thread.

If you want to see the rest, please click here to register.