Karl`s PC Help Forums Last active: Never
Not logged in [Login ]
Go To Bottom

In memory of Karl Davis, founder of this board, who made his final journey 12th June 2007

Printable Version | Subscribe | Add to Favourites   Post new thread Poll:
Author: Subject: US energy law and fuel mpg requirements
scholar
Knowledge of Ages

Theme: KF Blue (Default)

Mood: pensive

[*] Post 310694 posted on 3-12-2007 at 20:44 Reply With Quote
US energy law and fuel mpg requirements

New mpg standards

I think it is stupid for the government to pass laws requiring higher average mpg standards. The Chrysler exec said it would increase the cost of every vehicle by $6,700.

As Ronald Reagan used to say, a smaller vehicle may not be the best value--the station wagon that holds lots of people will use more gas than a small car, but you get everybody in one car! (True, we have vans today, not station wagons--but it's the same idea. :D)

The car companies are already trying to get good mileage, BUT they don't want to sacrifice features the buying public wants. Someone who wants to pull a trailer or a boat won't want to buy a higher mpg car that won't pull the trailer or the boat.

Right now, cars from other countries are better than many of ours in mileage, but our trucks and larger cars have an edge in the higher fuel usage market. It seems the Congress wants to cut out the market where ours are doing better, and only leave the part of the market where the other countries are coing better. It's as if they want to destroy American auto manufacture--which is one of the few things still made in the US. If the Congress legislates them out of business, about the only thing left will be aircraft and military production.:(
Katzy
Anything you like

Theme: Coffee

Mood: Fintlewoodlewix.

[*] Post 310695 posted on 3-12-2007 at 20:51 Reply With Quote

Well I'm not changing my mpg.

I might convert a few to avi, though.

[/flippancy] :D
scholar
Knowledge of Ages

Theme: KF Blue (Default)

Mood: pensive

[*] Post 310696 posted on 3-12-2007 at 20:51 Reply With Quote

Another stupidity in the bill is the requirement that all the electricity producers provide 15% renewable energy. I'm sure some will hire the best people and do it successfully. But, while everyone is trying to do it at the same time, the people with ideas or technology that won't work will be hired as well, and the electric company won't realize they have bet on the wrong horse until it gets time to power up and the vanes fall off the windmill, or the bearings corrode from sea spray, or the solar panels get covered by snow too often.

Instead, I say, let the best minds and technology sell their work to some of the electric plants, who will benefit from being ahead. Then, when the problems are worked out, the less adventurous money will buy the technology, and the same guys can install it that have proven themselves already.
Post new thread Poll:

Guest Notice
You are a guest, as a guest you can only see a maximum of 3 posts per thread.

If you want to see the rest, please click here to register.