Karl`s PC Help Forums

Let's All Go And Visit Mt Washington Tonight
JackInCT - 7-1-2018 at 03:28

There is an official USA weather service somewhere near the top of Mt Washington. There is a hiking trail, an auto road (not sure if it's open all year round-I don't think so), & a cog RR.

This is the 10:15 PM local time weather reading from the weather station:

This is not an unusual situation for this mountain, and what is most surprising is that it is nowhere near the highest peak at 6,288 ft in the lower 48 states re its frigid weather.

There are also webcams.

FYI: Winter Mountaineering Trips
Experience winter on Mount Washington by climbing to the summit with one of our partner climbing schools and staying overnight at our legendary summit weather station.

marymary100 - 7-1-2018 at 10:43

How was it?

JackInCT - 7-1-2018 at 12:41

At 7:15 AM local time the temp is a genuine -2° on my back porch. The good news is that ALL my mechanicals are continuing to function as I expect them to. However there is this eerie silence in the out of doors much of which I suspect is due in part that it's a Sunday, but also that a goodly % of cars aren't starting. As for Mt Washington, I believe the weather station is manned 24/7 [needs research if that impression is correct] and how the staff functions re duration of a "shift" also needs research re whether they are literally locked in until Spring also needs research. I seem to recall the roadway up to the summit is quite curvy but perhaps a snowmobile ride is doable. I don't know but I think a helicopter landing is out of the question re crew change procedure.

The observation data shows a good amount of wind speed, but the view appears to be spectacular, i. e., there are panoramic views of other neighboring peaks. Obviously they have some way of keep the electrics going too.

marymary100 - 7-1-2018 at 16:02

It was -5 here this morning. Almost balmy by comparison.

JackInCT - 7-1-2018 at 19:29

Quote:
Originally posted by marymary100
...Almost balmy by comparison.

It's within easy driving distance of Boston and that whole area's very large population. I'm not sure what you might find going on there (among the more, lets call them, adventurous types) during the winter on any given day re amount of/lack thereof attire that you would think should only be worn on bona fide balmy days. But then that what's social media is for (& whether uploads of such goings onto sites like uTube should be considered social media is....).

LSemmens - 8-1-2018 at 00:10

I'd suspect that the observation station may be actually a remote one where there is non need for attendance except for routine maintenance.

JackInCT - 8-1-2018 at 02:07

Quote:
Originally posted by LSemmens
I'd suspect that the observation station may be actually a remote one where there is non need for attendance except for routine maintenance.

From their website: "Mount Washington Observatory’s mountaintop weather station is the core of the institution. Staffed continuously since the organization’s founding, it is operated by two alternating crews who live on the summit for a week at a time, taking hourly weather observations, performing research, and conducting educational programs."

URL: https://www.mountwashington.org/about-us/

I couldn't find anything re transportation mechanics; I would wonder if the crews rotation is 'delayed' on occasion due to weather. The comment in the website re "conducting educational programs" has me wondering how any visitor could get there in the winter, I. e., I'm wondering IF I'm misinterpreting that paragraph. But there are pixs on the website of home sapiens (that's you and me) outside in significant snow.

I don't think the embedded pix has been PhotoShopped, and I guess the wind must occassionally die down long enough to go outdoors cause on snow/ice--away you go!!!