Karl`s PC Help Forums

suspect e-mail from bobbykat
scholar - 4-4-2016 at 01:05

I got an e-mail, purportedly from bobbykat, with a link in it. The return address in the e-mail is ****@methodist.org.uk . Bobbykat does not live in the UK, so I am suspicious that the e-mail is a trick to get me to click on the link therein (I have not done so).

What do you think?

I could post the link, if you wish

I have not been in touch with bobbykat for a few years.

I will probably send her an e-mail about this if I still have her e-mail address. But, I thought it might be of some interest for discussion here at KF.

Notice I have not quoted words from the e-mail, which I think is against KF rules.

Redwolf5150 - 4-4-2016 at 03:14

Try replying to the email asking a question only Bobbykat would know the answer to.

Quaver - 4-4-2016 at 07:12

Sounds like spam.
I get similar emails too, I've never opened it (Gmail sends it to spam folder, but I can see the first line). The messages goes something like this:

Hi Quaver http://www.???????????? Thank you!

Someone probably got the email address from somewhere, and are sending spam with my friend's from address.

Unless, that is, it has a proper message.

scholar - 5-4-2016 at 00:21

Quote:
Originally posted by Redwolf5150
Try replying to the email asking a question only Bobbykat would know the answer to.

I'm thinking that, if I send a reply, that verifies my e-mail address to them as a real, active account, and thus invite more spam (if it is spam).

I do appreciate the logic of your response.