Karl`s PC Help Forums

Bars On Screen
victor - 27-11-2014 at 19:46

Unfortunately my trusted PC has suddenly generated vertical bars down the screen, when booting up they are red horizontal but change to vertical blue ones when windows loads, windows is working at the moment I am using it to place this post but the bars are permanently there in the background plus if you move anything it is colour washed out.
Tried going into BIOS but the navigation arrows where inoperable.
Would be grateful of any suggestions as to what the problem could

Quaver - 27-11-2014 at 22:18

It could be the monitor cable, have you checked that it's securely connected? Do you have a spare cable you can try?

waffler - 27-11-2014 at 22:23

http://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/windows_8-windows_install/windows-8-and-a-blue-bar-on-the-left-side-of-my/55d80 264-d0f8-430f-9d82-2c1bd90766ae

LSemmens - 28-11-2014 at 09:20

If it has been working and only just suddenly started I'd suspect a "mechanical" failure. Has anything moved since it last worked? Does it do it only in Windoze or at all times. I suspect it occurs at all times and am thinking that the video card might be a problem. Do you have a spare card / monitor you could use to test with? First I'd do is plug in anothe monitor, then another card.

John_Little - 28-11-2014 at 10:29

I reckon its a screen thing. Quaver could be right in that its noise from a dodgy connection but it could equally be a buggered screen. Have you not got an old one laying around anywhere?

Oh Oh Oh Oh!!!!!! Sudden inspiration! What about connecting it to the TV via an hdmi cable?

victor - 28-11-2014 at 20:39

Negative on the monitors as I have two running and it's on both.
Had the board out and could see nothing suspicious put it back in but still the same problem,can only surmise it's on the way out.:(

LSemmens - 29-11-2014 at 00:24

Have you got a spare card?

scholar - 29-11-2014 at 23:40

Is the video part of the motherboard, or is it a separate graphics card?

victor - 30-11-2014 at 06:29

Separate card Scholar two monitor outputs, the PC is ten years old so don't know about get a replacement card.

LSemmens - 30-11-2014 at 10:20

Should be a standard AGP card possibly early PCI-E. I have a collection of AGP cards if you get desparate. You could probably find a second hand one at a nearby 'puter shop for a couple of bucks.

victor - 5-1-2015 at 22:30

Thanks for the offer Leigh, son has fixed it for me it was the video card, he gave me it for Xmas and fitted it, I don't know if he picked it up here or in NZ before coming over.

scholar - 5-1-2015 at 22:45

When I've paid money for a computer, it has usually been the cheap on-the-motherboard kind--but, on this computer of Ruby's, there is an installed video card which is better than the integrated one.

LSemmens - 6-1-2015 at 00:06

It's a good thing that you didn't take me up on my offer. I've just found that I can't find any of my spare cards. (My recent debacle with my file server proved that).