Karl`s PC Help Forums

Finding a tax file by my computer
scholar - 19-9-2013 at 17:37

In the U.S;, employers used to mail paper copies of some tax information a form WW-2, to each employee. The W-2 form includes the employee's total pay for that tax year, and how much money was deducted from that pay so as to be sent to the national and state governments as a sort of pre-payment for their taxes. Each employee is responsible to the national and local government to compute what, exactly, they owe, and they either ask the government to send back the extra (usually), or write a check to pay the shortfall (less common for wage-earners).

Ruby gave her tax stuff to a man who accepts payment for working through the process, for her national (=federal) taxes. He moved away.

Now, she still is supposed to submit a state (Illinois) tax record, but she cannot get her W-2s from him. She thinks several of the records were made available via the internet to her. I think I printed out at least some of them for her.

But, I've been going through my hard drive files, and haven't found any for 2012. I did find one .pdf file for one employer for 2011 (not the year I need).

Is there another format I should be searching through? I am feeling kind of stuck. I wouldn't expect it to be a .doc file, because those are so easily edited/manipulated.

She tells me she got at least one paycheck from each of five employers. I need to know how much was withheld from her pay for Illinois taxes, so she can ask for the appropriate amount back, after all the computations are made.

marymary100 - 19-9-2013 at 18:14

Just list all your documents by date and all types should show up. Your only problem will be if you deleted files or if Ruby got them as attachments but didn't save.

scholar - 19-9-2013 at 18:41

Is there a way to distinguish between all types of documents, and non-document files?

I use Total Commander 5.5 for most of my searches, but I can go back to Windows Explorer if there is a reason to do so.

Since I haven't found anything so far--and, I am very much a "save-the-document-before-you-close" guy--I'm thinking that she might have done it on some other computer. The tax man's, for example.:(

marymary100 - 19-9-2013 at 19:11

In Windows 7 you just do > Start >Documents and all types show up then do a sort by date and the chronological order should help you find it.

scholar - 19-9-2013 at 19:47

I've got WinXP Pro. There is a "My Documents" folder at start-up, but that would only be helpful if I made a point of storing documents there, and not elsewhere. I'll remember the Win7 feature, though--someday, I'll have Windows 7 or Windows 8.

Ruby has come home, and she tells me that she got the documents on a library computer and printed them at the library. That was when my computer only had phone-modem internet access.

Redwolf5150 - 19-9-2013 at 21:46

If you got it by email, check your downloads folder.

And hope you didn't clear out the folder.

delanti - 19-9-2013 at 22:23

I use H&R Block tax program and it saves 2 types of files. The return for fileing is a T12 extender and the back up is a PDF. If that is any help. If she could get them on the library computer om line you should be able to also. I would think.Always print a hard copy of your tax return. Computers sometimes bite the dust so I have been told.waveysmiley