Karl`s PC Help Forums

HELP!!!!!!
charles - 1-1-2013 at 11:42

I keep getting this annoying message all the time when I use the PC

"Your default search page has been changed by a third party,do you want to use My Start as your search provider"

How can I get rid of it please ?????

John_Little - 1-1-2013 at 12:15

Got to be a browser option thing. In tools, I presume or the equivalent on whatever browser you use. Naughty, though. Changing your set up like that.

Katzy - 1-1-2013 at 12:18

I think you've been nobbled...

http://deletemalware.blogspot.co.uk/2012/07/remove-mystart-by-incredibar-uninstall.html

charles - 1-1-2013 at 13:40

Quote:
Originally posted by Katzy

http://deletemalware.blogspot.co.uk/2012/07/remove-mystart-by-incredibar-uninstall.html

Got those thanks Katzy

charles - 1-1-2013 at 13:41

Quote:
Originally posted by John_Little
Got to be a browser option thing. In tools, I presume or the equivalent on whatever browser you use. Naughty, though. Changing your set up like that.

I use Firefox John

John Barnes - 1-1-2013 at 14:16

Well don't blame me, whilst capable of such nefarious work I would not infect any ones computer. jmb

ps try Malware bytes just Google for it and it will kill 99.9%of any Malware that you have its about the best on the market and its free jmb

scholar - 1-1-2013 at 17:07

Charles, I hope you know me well enough as a friend not to take this suggestion as a provocation. . .

If you would title your threads which request help in a more specific way, then people with the same problem could find them more easily.

Something like "My start page has been changed against my wishes" or "I'm getting an annoying notice about changing my start page" could be helpful to somone else.

Back when Windows was more twitchy, KF used to get a fair number of new members after they came by to get help with Windows problems. Sometimes, they would do a search for an answer to their problem, and a KF post title would describe the very same problem they had.

Just a friendly suggestion, Charles--no pressure.waveysmiley

Dreamweaver - 1-1-2013 at 17:37

Quote:
Originally posted by scholar
Charles, I hope you know me well enough as a friend not to take this suggestion as a provocation. . .

If you would title your threads which request help in a more specific way, then people with the same problem could find them more easily.

Something like "My start page has been changed against my wishes" or "I'm getting an annoying notice about changing my start page" could be helpful to somone else.

Back when Windows was more twitchy, KF used to get a fair number of new members after they came by to get help with Windows problems. Sometimes, they would do a search for an answer to their problem, and a KF post title would describe the very same problem they had.

As registration has been turned off for months, there will be no new members until the influx of spammers stop.

charles - 1-1-2013 at 17:40

Quote:
Originally posted by John Barnes
Well don't blame me, whilst capable of such nefarious work I would not infect any ones computer. jmb

ps try Malware bytes just Google for it and it will kill 99.9%of any Malware that you have its about the best on the market and its free jmb

Been using malware for years John,thanks

charles - 1-1-2013 at 17:41

Quote:

Thats me TOLD.....waggyfinger

charles - 1-1-2013 at 17:42

Quote:
Originally posted by Dreamweaver
Quote:

As registration has been turned off for months, there will be no new members until the influx of spammers stop.

Not with you Dot, what have spammers been doing,,just get John Barnes to sort 'em out

marymary100 - 1-1-2013 at 19:11

Quote:
Quote:

You may have to wait some time...

John_Little - 1-1-2013 at 19:20

Try this page. Its all about selection adding and changing your search engines in firefox:-

http://support.mozilla.org/en-US/kb/search-bar-easily-choose-your-search-engine#w_switching-search-engines

John Barnes - 1-1-2013 at 21:14

Quote:
Originally posted by charles
Quote:
Quote:

Not with you Dot, what have spammers been doing,,just get John Barnes to sort 'em out

I think you and Leigh between you can do an adequate job without any help from me.jmb

dr john - 1-1-2013 at 23:44

Quote:

The little sod got me too, sneaked in while I was downloading stuff to put on my newly repaired laptop.

Took several goes to totally remove it. It adds itself to every browser you have on the computer too.

Google pointed me at the right pages with detailed instructions, and there is even a youtube video on getting rid of it.

charles - 2-1-2013 at 11:06

Quote:
Originally posted by dr john
Quote:

The little sod got me too, sneaked in while I was downloading stuff to put on my newly repaired laptop.

Took several goes to totally remove it. It adds itself to every browser you have on the computer too.

Google pointed me at the right pages with detailed instructions, and there is even a youtube video on getting rid of it.

Thanks,what I have done is uninstall Incredibar,hope that does it.

charles - 2-1-2013 at 15:21

uninstalling incredibar has cured it , I HOPE.......confused2

LSemmens - 2-1-2013 at 20:25

Don't hold your breath yet, Charles. MBAM is a great tool, but sometimes even that cannot cure all ills. I got hit with a similar nasty not long back. MBAM did not touch it, I then went through the registry and deleted all reference there and the pernicious thing still would not let go. Eventually I found that it had added itself to my "add ons" in FF which just re-installed it every time I cleaned it out. So, make sure that it isn't also an add on in FF.

Dreamweaver - 2-1-2013 at 21:00

Quote:
Originally posted by marymary100

You may have to wait some time...

I can only sit and wait, turn it back on and see what happens, which is basically what I have been doing for a while now :(

charles - 2-1-2013 at 21:17

Quote:
Originally posted by LSemmens
Don't hold your breath yet, Charles. MBAM is a great tool, but sometimes even that cannot cure all ills. I got hit with a similar nasty not long back. MBAM did not touch it, I then went through the registry and deleted all reference there and the pernicious thing still would not let go. Eventually I found that it had added itself to my "add ons" in FF which just re-installed it every time I cleaned it out. So, make sure that it isn't also an add on in FF.

What is MBAM?? and what is FF???

scholar - 2-1-2013 at 21:51

FF is FireFox, a popular web browser.

Katzy - 2-1-2013 at 22:05

Quote:
Originally posted by DreamweaverI can only sit and wait, turn it back on and see what happens, which is basically what I have been doing for a while now :(

Does XMB not have anti-spam mods, like SMF does?

LSemmens - 3-1-2013 at 22:48

MBAM = MalwareBytes Anti Malware
FF = Firefox