Karl`s PC Help Forums

Wisdows Vista installation!!!
abbs2002 - 14-12-2007 at 22:39

Hi guys

I'm having a little trouble here trying to help a friend install Windows Vista on his Sony Vaio, screen shots will tell you the whole story.
When I try to install windows it gets to a stage where it says can't be detacted.
Any ideas guys.

Marry Xmas...abbs.waveysmiley

abbs2002 - 14-12-2007 at 22:43

Topcat - 14-12-2007 at 22:46

Quote:
Originally posted by abbs2002
Hi guys

I'm having a little trouble here trying to help a friend install Windows Vista on his Sony Vaio, screen shots will tell you the whole story.
When I try to install windows it gets to a stage where it says can't be detacted.
Any ideas guys.

Marry Xmas...abbs.waveysmiley

First question, has the machine passed the compatibility test.

Where are the screen shots.

Is this a fresh install (blank HDD ) or an upgrade (from what )

What can't be detected, the machine or the Windows CD.

Topcat.

abbs2002 - 15-12-2007 at 00:37

Hi
The machine came with Windows Vista so it is compatible, the hard drive is a used one but barely used, screen shots are there in my second message, if you can see the screen shots you will see that the hard drive can be detected in the laptop setting but when the installation is under way it stops and the message say that the hard drive is not connected.

Daz - 15-12-2007 at 01:04

Are you booting from a Vista DVD, or trying to use one of the Recovery procedures offered by the PC/Laptop companies...?

If the latter, and it's not the original HDD, then the recovery (installation) files for Vista may be on the old HDD... Which "might" explain the error message, in that it's looking for the data but can't find it...

If you have the original Serial Number, you could download the *trial of Vista, and use the legit key to activate it. (Just done this myself, so know that works!)

*You must use the trial version, not the dodgy (cracked) versions, as you will need the flavour that matches your SN... (The cracked versions tend to be Ultimate editions only)

PM me if you want the trial edition I've just used.

Having said that, Sony tend to have good support, so they may be able/willing to help...

LSemmens - 15-12-2007 at 13:29

The image posted is unreadable on my box, abbs. Daz's comments though are appropriate, if you are attempting a product recovery to a new (to this system) HDD, then there is a good chance that your hidden recovery partition is not accessible, because it was never on that "new" drive in the first place.

abbs2002 - 15-12-2007 at 19:04

Hi guys

I’m sorry about the photos a clearer photo was too big to upload, this is not a new hard drive it the original that came with the laptop, I’m trying to re-install Vista back on it coz the original one that was installed got corrupted, yes I have the original activation key, I have downloaded the trial version onto a disk but when I tried to run it all I get “read disk error” or something similar.
Sorry Daz I’m not sure how to PM you.

Cheers…abbs.

Topcat - 15-12-2007 at 19:37

Quote:
this is not a new hard drive it the original that came with the laptop, I’m trying to re-install Vista back on it coz the original one that was installed got corrupted,

Have you managed to actually format the drive or are you attempting to install over the old system

If formatted, what did you use to do so, and did you use NTFS file format.

Topcat.

abbs2002 - 15-12-2007 at 21:31

Hi

No I have not formatted the hard drive coz I don't how, my friend brought to me as it is, if you can tell me how to format the drive will give it a go.

Cheers...abbs.

Topcat - 15-12-2007 at 22:41

Quote:
Hi

No I have not formatted the hard drive coz I don't how, my friend brought to me as it is, if you can tell me how to format the drive will give it a go.

Cheers...abbs.

This is getting complicated, so lets start at the beginning, I'll presume that your system will boot from the CD/rom drive (it may be a DVD but it will work the same) put the Vista CD in the drive, switch on and let it Auto run, if it boots from the CD you should get a list of options, what are they (please list them.)
If it doesn't boot from the CD drive you'll have to change the BIOS settings, are you up to that.

Report back please.

Topcat.

abbs2002 - 16-12-2007 at 00:50

Hi

Sorry for the confusion, I have taken the advice to format the hard drive and it worked, right now windows is installing.:P

Thank you for your help and marry xmas...waveysmiley

Daz - 16-12-2007 at 02:46

Quote:
Daz I’m not sure how to PM you.

Not important now you're getting sorted, but for future reference, to PM somebody, click the u2u button in the post of the person you want to message, or click their username, and then the "send u2u" link in their profile page.

Also one thing I forgot to mention yesterday, when you activate, it may fail, and ask you to call the M$ Activation number. It's a free, and fairly painless, automated procedure, where you just enter a load of numbers on the Phone keypad, and it then talks back at you with another load of numbers that you use for activation. Just listen carefully to the questions, and answer accordingly.