Karl`s PC Help Forums

A plastic-free future
marymary100 - 28-2-2018 at 22:10

Supermarket

Quote:

A “world first” plastic-free supermarket aisle is being unveiled in Amsterdam, prompting calls from campaigners for retailers to roll them out in the UK.
More than 700 products will be available without plastic packaging in the aisle which is being set up in a new metro-sized pilot store of supermarket chain Ekoplaza in the Dutch city, including meat, rice, sauces, dairy, chocolate, cereals, fruit and vegetables.

Isn't that just what we used to do?

John_Little - 1-3-2018 at 08:20

True but that was a generation or two ago. Almost like a lost civilisation.

And string bags to let the soil from your loose potatoes out.

Quaver - 2-3-2018 at 12:02

Brilliant ideakewl_glasses
Hope it will be rolled out everywhere.

JackInCT - 2-3-2018 at 23:59

In many USA chains, there are plastic bags next to the packaged meat and fish to keep the liquid from spilling onto other items in the shopping cart; that happens with some regularity as when you touch some of the packages they are wet to the touch (and you will need a hand sanitizer to boot after such an encounter).

I use canvas shopping bags and over time the bottom of the bags are soiled from some item that leaked. Furthermore if you used paper bags, you would run the risk of the leak overflowing onto the car floor/boot/wherever and ending up with a foul smell.

Nimuae - 3-3-2018 at 07:17

Does this mean they will go back to using glass bottles for things such as HP Sauce? I hope so - I miss HP sauce but refuse to buy anything in a plastic bottle.

scholar - 3-3-2018 at 22:37

Quote:
Originally posted by Nimuae
Does this mean they will go back to using glass bottles for things such as HP Sauce? I hope so - I miss HP sauce but refuse to buy anything in a plastic bottle.

Most items around here are more expensive in glass bottles and containers. But, glass is inert, where plastic is not. I like glass--better for flavor, better for avoiding contamination from what comes out of the plastic, and stronger.

Some environmentalists used to advocate plastic, to be recycled, but cities that separate the plastic get massively larger quantities than industry will use recycled. People simply will not buy water, or even many foods, in plastic containers that do not look crystal-clear.

I like glass for foods, and paper/cardboard for bags and disposable containers. No styro, please! But, I think I must tolerate plastic for some chemicals.

LSemmens - 5-3-2018 at 02:30

The more things change, the more they stay the same. I am very happy to see things in paper bags and glass. Time was when the butcher used to wrap your meat in several layers of paper.

Who remembers eating Fish and Chips out of old newspaper? Recycling at it's best!