Karl`s PC Help Forums Last active: Never
Not logged in [Login ]
Go To Bottom

In memory of Karl Davis, founder of this board, who made his final journey 12th June 2007

Printable Version | Subscribe | Add to Favourites   Post new thread Poll:
Author: Subject: My printer doesn't print
scholar
Knowledge of Ages

Theme: KF Blue (Default)

Mood: pensive

mad.gif Post 512442 posted on 15-4-2018 at 21:29 Reply With Quote
My printer doesn't print

My HP 4150 has not been responding when I try to print something from Open Office. When I chose "open active printer'' from the little printer icon at the bottom of the Windows screen (I use the desktop screen choice), it shows the single print job in the queue, and it says that it is printing a page numbered higher than the total number of pages actually in the document--while nothing is happening on the printer.

Example: First, a box appears that says Printing page 1 [then 2, 3, 4, 5 while a bar indicates progress in 5ths. The document has 5 pages. Nothing is actually printing

Then the Open active printers box gives the name of the document, the status :"Printing" the owner "rjpawn" [I bought the machine from them] and pages 19/5 [so, it is printing the 19th page of the 5-page document shocked_yellow It typically prints page 5 first, then page 4, page 3, page 2, and page 1]

I have tried unplugging and replugging the printer power, and restarting Windows, including the reboot where you hold the interrupt button on the box. No joy.

My "HP 4100 printer assistant" diagnostic and problem-solver program does not run. I get an error message when I try to run it. This is a printer more than 10 years old, so HP does not officially support it any more.

I'm trying to remember--can I take the printer driver off, and then install it again by choosing it from the printer install choices on the Windows system list? I'm wondering if the driver has been corrupted. Does installing the printer from the printer installation files list actually write the driver file(s) somewhere, or does it just put some kind of pointer/ go-to to the file in the OS? (What I'm getting at is this: if the driver is corrupt, is the driver in the Windows OS an original from which I sort of make a new copy, or is there only one on the heard drive?)

I bought this computer used, with the OS on the hard drive, and no other OS resources with it. I picked the driver from the Windows list to make the printer I already owned my default printer.

I have been well-enough satisfied with the printer, if I can get it to work again. It is fine with me using black-ink only for documents, and using good-enough quality with satisfactory speed, instead of going real slow and using a lot of ink. I've used HP for many years now.

If I can't get it to work, a friend has offered me an Epson. I haven't checked the age and model yet. I do remember my last Canon printer was expensive, unless I injected my own ink into the color cartridge. I don't know how Epson compares.
scholar
Knowledge of Ages

[*] Post 512444 posted on 15-4-2018 at 21:40 Reply With Quote
I found MaryMary's Print and Scan Doctor

. . . from an earlier time I had problems with this printer.

I am trying to run it, now. A box came up, telling me there is a newer version that I could download, but I'm going to use the one that helped me last time, first.
scholar
Knowledge of Ages

[*] Post 512446 posted on 15-4-2018 at 22:11 Reply With Quote

The Doctor communicated with the printer and discovered that there was a problem with either a print cartridge position or the printer door. I popped each cartridge loose, and then back into proper position, then closed and thumped the printer door.

It printed the last two print jobs I tried to print, one of which was still on the printer list (this morning's sermon, which I delivered from a hand-written manuscript that I had made from my computer screen and i pad mini displays.

Now, it's working fine.

I just have to remember the resource.
Post new thread Poll:

Guest Notice
You are a guest, as a guest you can only see a maximum of 3 posts per thread.

If you want to see the rest, please click here to register.