Karl`s PC Help Forums Last active: Never
Not logged in [Login ]
Go To Bottom

In memory of Karl Davis, founder of this board, who made his final journey 12th June 2007

Printable Version | Subscribe | Add to Favourites   Post new thread Poll:
Author: Subject: Unusual Explorer Drive Listing In Its List Of Files
JackInCT
Custom User Title

Theme: KF Blue (Default)

Mood: No Mood

[*] Post 512399 posted on 13-4-2018 at 21:12 Reply With Quote
Unusual Explorer Drive Listing In Its List Of Files

To begin with, I'm posting this topic for 2 reasons, (1) I have zero idea what I could use for the wording for a Google type search for it, & (2) I would like to find out if it's of any real significance.

All of a sudden I have in the midst of my Explorer files, a "C Drive" [my local HD] listing, and about 1/3 of the files now have a lock icon/symbol next to the file name (first noticed a few days ago).

If I click on this C Drive, the screen jumps around, but that's all that happens as far as I can tell. I did Google the lock symbol, and it appears to be no big deal re it's significance.

I'm not experiencing any problems that are noticeable on this PC, but I'm wondering IF the best solution is to simply leave well enough alone until some major goes wrong, i. e., this issue may be an early warning sign of some kind of a developing problem, but it's, as a practical matter, a wait and see type issue since an effort to "delete/modify/whatever" it may really cause a major mess.

I do have a shortcut for this drive on desktop, but that's been there forever.

There was a Windows Update earlier this week, but I couldn't possibly determine if there's a connection.

The image is what I'm seeing.

JackInCT has attached this image.
Click the image to enlarge it:

Click Image To Enlarge
scholar
Knowledge of Ages

Mood: pensive

[*] Post 512401 posted on 14-4-2018 at 00:59 Reply With Quote

If I wanted to check whether there is a problem with Explorer, I would try another file managing program.

I have been a fan of Total Commander for many years, and use it when I have a choice. Some of my programs might be using Explorer or something from Explorer when navigating drivers, directories and files (e.g. my word processing programs, when they seek a document to load).

You didn't happen to make a back-up of some kind, did you?
JackInCT
Custom User Title

Mood: No Mood

[*] Post 512403 posted on 14-4-2018 at 02:22 Reply With Quote

Quote:
Originally posted by scholar
...Total Commander for many years..

You didn't happen to make a back-up of some kind, did you?

I used Total Commander 10+ years ago; but that's a good idea re see what it produces.

There was a Restore Point created when I did the Windows Updates, and I could always try that too.

I don't make a system OS backup for all the wrong reasons. I do make data files backups frequently and so a crash is not a total disaster re the reinstall OS route.

I happen last week to dig out an old small capacity IDE HD that I didn't know if it still worked (and it's slow compared to SATA HDs). It worked re installing a Win 7 OS (from my Win 7 install CD) but the updates that it needed took hours re all the ones that MS has published for Win 7 and MS Office 2010. The .NET framework ones in particular have a large number of updates for all the .NET framework versions that MS has never bothered to "collate" into just one version.
Post new thread Poll:

Guest Notice
You are a guest, as a guest you can only see a maximum of 3 posts per thread.

If you want to see the rest, please click here to register.