Karl`s PC Help Forums Last active: Never
Not logged in [Login ]
Go To Bottom

In memory of Karl Davis, founder of this board, who made his final journey 12th June 2007

Printable Version | Subscribe | Add to Favourites   Post new thread Poll:
Author: Subject: Another Amtrak Train Incident, This Time 2 Passenger Cars Separated
JackInCT
Custom User Title

Theme: KF Blue (Default)

Mood: No Mood

[*] Post 511422 posted on 8-2-2018 at 01:33 Reply With Quote
Another Amtrak Train Incident, This Time 2 Passenger Cars Separated

This occurred Tuesday 02/06/18

(ABC News) — Two cars on an Amtrak train carrying dozens of passengers from Washington, D.C., to Boston separated Tuesday morning, the railroad corporation said in a statement.

Acela Express train No. 2150 experienced a “mechanical issue,” which caused two of the train’s cars to separate, according to Amtrak.

None of the 52 passengers, nor any of the crew, were injured during the incident, Amtrak said.
Katzy
Anything you like

Theme: Coffee

Mood: Fintlewoodlewix.

[*] Post 511432 posted on 8-2-2018 at 12:42 Reply With Quote

Don't they do "Belt and braces" couplings? Even if a train does split, here, all the brakes go on and go on HARD.

Some of what I've seen, with regard to your railways, seems rather kinda third world, to me. I wonder why that should be...
JackInCT
Custom User Title

Theme: KF Blue (Default)

Mood: No Mood

[*] Post 511434 posted on 8-2-2018 at 15:22 Reply With Quote

Quote:
Originally posted by Katzy
Some of what I've seen, with regard to your railways, seems rather kinda third world, to me. I wonder why that should be...

You're right and that was very likely what happened; the news article was either written by an amateur journalist (1st choice), or the author of the press release which the AP journalist basically c & p'ed, & didn't know, and didn't care to find out (2nd choice).

The pix for the non-RR railfans on this site shows a "broken knuckle" that occurred in transit at track speed. Not a common occurrence but not unheard of either.

Hard to believe something that massive can fail!

Note the brown area on the remaining part of the coupler on the car; that shows that there was already a crack, and a sizeable one, but perhaps hairline in width, but it was wide enough to allow rust conditions to occur. There's no way of telling just how long this problem had been existence and I don't know of any 'early warning' preventative maintenance that would have spotted it.

At the level of a complete guess I don't think that when the part is manufactured there is an x-ray/ultra sound done to detect flaws; ditto re the rail manufacturing process. Rail is subject to expansion and contraction issues that can result in a very sizeable separation of the two broken sections; there a handful of pixs on railpictures of a freight train proceeding at a very slow speed over a KNOWN section of track where the rail has cracked & separated--what could go wrong????

JackInCT has attached this image.
Click the image to enlarge it:

Click Image To Enlarge
Post new thread Poll:

Guest Notice
You are a guest, as a guest you can only see a maximum of 3 posts per thread.

If you want to see the rest, please click here to register.