Karl`s PC Help Forums Last active: Never
Not logged in [Login ]
Go To Bottom

In memory of Karl Davis, founder of this board, who made his final journey 12th June 2007

Printable Version | Subscribe | Add to Favourites   Post new thread Poll:
Author: Subject: can anyone help?
the bear
Bears-r-Us

Theme: Purple

Mood: undecided

[*] Post 511347 posted on 3-2-2018 at 22:53 Reply With Quote
can anyone help?

My current PC has become very problematic, fear its at the end of its useful life. The Printer is now defunct and ready to be consigned to the tip. I needed a completely new setup, something uptodate but have no idea what to buy, if I go to PC World or the like some young erk smelling the commision on a big sale will blind me with science and wreck my head with data I totally don't understand to pressure a sale.

Information for anyone that can help.

I would need the usual email and skype programmes, not interested in Fax.

I use my PC to write stories on would need a very large storage system and would like to import material as illustrations.
A printer that is economical with the price of ink refills. A Printer that can print both sides.
A good standard of illustration reproduction
I would like an endless file to save photos to. I've been told to use something called Cloud?
I would like to start learning how to use Photoshop or the like.
I don't down load music or films.
I used to be able to to listen to American Country Music stations while I worked, I would like this facility again.
I was most happy when I had XP to work with and would need a set up that was mega user friendly.

Anyone got any ideas as to a way forward.

Regards the Bear
JackInCT
Custom User Title

Theme: KF Blue (Default)

Mood: No Mood

[*] Post 511350 posted on 4-2-2018 at 00:15 Reply With Quote

Have any interest in building your own? I did, and it worked, but there is an awful lot of prep work re integrating the parts from different vendors; there are kits out there that you can assemble, but just how much money, if any, they save needs to be rigorously calculated.

There may be parts like the case, the power supply, etc., that you could use in a build your own project.
JackInCT
Custom User Title

Theme: KF Blue (Default)

Mood: No Mood

[*] Post 511358 posted on 4-2-2018 at 17:31 Reply With Quote

By the way, all the major PC vendors sell refurbished units at a "saving" [relatively speaking]. I presume they all come with an OS, etc.,.

But then not ever one of their models will have a refurbished unit for sale; periodic checks will perhaps turn up one that you want, but since they have a limited number of them, perhaps as few as one, you've got a good deal of potential competition for one.

I don't know but I would wonder if they have some sort of a waiting list for a particular model and will notify you if/when one comes along.

Ditto these paragraphs re major online retailers & refurbished units to include discontinued models; discontinued models are sold at a discount.

A search on the vendor may not turn up anything re "discontinued models" and since they just about all have toll free numbers, a call might be worth a try. When I was looking for a new printer, the online selection only mentioned a discount, but when I called my order in, I found out it was refurbished, i. e., the actual reason for the discount (and NOT that it was a discontinued model by the manufacturer; the manufacturer never stated on their website that it was no longer available, but took my order, and followed up with an email that it was not available any longer, canceled my credit card transaction immediately, etc.). I've had no problems with it at all.
Post new thread Poll:

Guest Notice
You are a guest, as a guest you can only see a maximum of 3 posts per thread.

If you want to see the rest, please click here to register.