Karl`s PC Help Forums Last active: Never
Not logged in [Login ]
Go To Bottom

In memory of Karl Davis, founder of this board, who made his final journey 12th June 2007

Printable Version | Subscribe | Add to Favourites   Post new thread Poll:
Author: Subject: The talking Orca
marymary100
Underwater Plumber

Theme: Iconic

Mood: fact me

[*] Post 511311 posted on 31-1-2018 at 23:11 Reply With Quote
The talking Orca

https://www.sciencealert.com/orca-killer-whale-learns-to-mimic-human-speech-hello-bye-bye-language

Quote:

This is the first time an orca has been trained to learn and distinctly repeat human sounds.
Previously, only three other mammals have been described doing so - an elephant in 2012, harbour seals in 1985, and a beluga whale in 2012.
A beluga whale has also been observed learning to "speak dolphin," in a case described just last year.

Sound clips for all.
JackInCT
Custom User Title

Theme: KF Blue (Default)

Mood: No Mood

[*] Post 511312 posted on 31-1-2018 at 23:52 Reply With Quote

What could possibly motivate any dumb animal to learn to speak "human sounds"?--they would have much better things to do with their lives. Furthermore if the giving of food treats is such a great learning strategy, then why isn't it used in all classrooms on the planet. I'm afraid the time is at hand to conisder the possibility that orcas are smarter than our childtren.

Furthermore, if by any chance these "human sounds" are English, could that lead to outcries that all the other languages on the planet are being discriminated against, as in perceived that the trainors consider English as indicative of English speaking peoples as thee superior race. Just saying...

If indeed this orca has intelligence, he would be teaching his trainors to speak Orcese (or something like that) not the other way round (the Orcs could use wet kisses as a reward cause humans are suckers for affection in any form). Just saying..
marymary100
Underwater Plumber

Theme: Iconic

Mood: fact me

[*] Post 511313 posted on 1-2-2018 at 06:51 Reply With Quote

I noticed when I was in Valencia last year that much of what claimed to be educational and for scientific research looed a lot like the old entertainment shows put on in Miami. Captive animals are always saddening. However, having seen the clips on the BBC it seems eager to mimic, even if it is just for food rewards.
Post new thread Poll:

Guest Notice
You are a guest, as a guest you can only see a maximum of 3 posts per thread.

If you want to see the rest, please click here to register.