Karl`s PC Help Forums Last active: Never
Not logged in [Login ]
Go To Bottom

In memory of Karl Davis, founder of this board, who made his final journey 12th June 2007

Printable Version | Subscribe | Add to Favourites   Post new thread Poll:
Author: Subject: Loneliness
marymary100
Underwater Plumber

Theme: Iconic

Mood: fact me

[*] Post 511107 posted on 20-1-2018 at 00:33 Reply With Quote
Loneliness

http://www.itv.com/news/2018-01-17/i-can-go-for-days-without-speaking-one-womans-experience-of-loneliness-as-government-takes-ac tion/

Quote:

I can go for days without speaking to anybody," explains Janet.
Along with more than nine million people in the UK, the 71-year-old suffers from loneliness.
Sometimes, she says, she goes to the supermarket just to have someone to speak to, if she did not, she believes she could easily go for months without speaking to another person.
On Tuesday, Janet went for a walk on London's Oxford Street, simply because it is busy and there are lots of people around.
So pressing is the issue of isolation that Theresa May has appointed a minister for loneliness, an idea recommended by murdered MP Jo Cox, in a bid to tackle the misery felt by many.
Ms Cox, who was murdered by a far-right terrorist, campaigned repeatedly before her death as she looked a methods to combat loneliness.
Tracey Crouch has become the first person to be appointed to the position.

In the absence of religion and strong family bonds and increasing use of social media I think this problem will only get worse.

I want to bring the college in to deliver a barista course to our senior pupils who will then run a café for an hour or so a day or week. It will provide a place to go for a cheaper coffee with a bit of a chat and if we target the shut ins near by and the parents who don't work make us more of a hub. The barista qualification and a volunteering award will be the pay off for my older pupils and an intergenerational approach might lead to better community relations.

Have any of you managed to help the lonely to improve their lives.
scholar
Knowledge of Ages

Theme: KF Blue (Default)

Mood: pensive

[*] Post 511110 posted on 20-1-2018 at 02:48 Reply With Quote

I visit home shut-ins, people in hospitals, and people in nursing homes.

I sometimes bring Ruby with me.

When I am visiting someone from a congregation in a nursing home, I have been in the habit of playing Christian hymns and songs on my guitar in the activity room, if it is available, and I share a devotion. In this way, I sometimes get joiners who would be left out if I held the devotion privately in my member's room.

On Christmas Day, I was unable to visit any shut-in members (more than 100 miles from my home, and the weather had prevented me from preaching on December 24), but I did call them, individually, on my phone. greengrin

Ruby knows a lot of people in our city and is big-hearted to them.
scholar
Knowledge of Ages

Theme: KF Blue (Default)

Mood: pensive

[*] Post 511111 posted on 20-1-2018 at 02:53 Reply With Quote

I know a man who lives alone in a shabby mobile home. He has some limits on what he can do because he cannot read. I met him through Ruby, who has known him for many years.

Ruby was on the phone with him one day and he mentioned that it was his birthday. Ruby invited him over to our home. We spent some time with him and fed him. I gifted him a nice Old Spice brand toiletry kit.

I could tell he was moved. (I don't think anyone else took notice of his birthday.) Sometime within the next week he stopped by and left me a gift of a box of small snack cakes while I was at work.
Post new thread Poll:

Guest Notice
You are a guest, as a guest you can only see a maximum of 3 posts per thread.

If you want to see the rest, please click here to register.