Karl`s PC Help Forums Last active: Never
Not logged in [Login ]
Go To Bottom

In memory of Karl Davis, founder of this board, who made his final journey 12th June 2007

Printable Version | Subscribe | Add to Favourites   Post new thread Poll:
Author: Subject: Talking pants
marymary100
Underwater Plumber

Theme: Iconic

Mood: fact me

[*] Post 510911 posted on 8-1-2018 at 19:50 Reply With Quote
Talking pants

https://www.nspcc.org.uk/globalassets/documents/advice-and-info/underwear-rule-guide-for-parents.pdf

Did you ever have this conversation with your child?
JackInCT
Custom User Title

Theme: KF Blue (Default)

Mood: No Mood

[*] Post 510926 posted on 9-1-2018 at 17:33 Reply With Quote

I have no idea, grand total wise, how many "programs" exist that, more or less, are similar to PANTS. I suspect there are at least several. Probably the biggest difference among them is methodology rather than curriculum content.

Here in the USA, there are 'free-lance' fee for service consultants in this area. I don't think its realistically accurately knowable whether these consultants work primarily training teachers, or some combination of teacher training and short term in-classroom work, OR whether the school system simply puts the onus on classroom teachers of the "additional related duties" scheme.

Because each school system is an entity unto its own self, and private schools are in their own 'world', it's very difficult to get an overview of all of this, i. e., it is not unusual for public school districts to ignore state required reports on this or that matter, and I can just imagine how much, or how little, effort ever goes into making any given report as thorough/accurate as possible.

I'm familiar with a similar program called "Circles"; this URL is from a vendor of same:
https://www.stanfield.com/product/circles-curriculum-bundle-w1037-3/

Once upon a time, Circles became an overnight 'it's all the rage' affair for individuals with intellectual disabilities in schools, residential programs, sheltered workshop programs (YES, I realize I'm using politically incorrect labels, but that's what they were called for years and years).

IMO Circles took off like a rocket cause of a fear of liability by the powers that be at all levels. In some ways that was not such a bad thing from the "something is better than nothing" perspective. Were there any issues of "clients/students" possibly misunderstanding the "warning signs" and making "inaccurate" "accusations"? That's why "management" gets paid big bucks. Firing someone almost always is appealed--and lawyer/union involvement is commonplace.

During this period the State via the legislature even set up a hot line/agency to report abuse--but it was nothing at all re authority/scope/resources that the State child protection services had--THAT WAS NO ACCIDENT/OVERSIGHT.

Believe you me, who of the staff was "qualified" to "teach" such a program hardly mattered as was the question who of student/clientele could actually have ANY comprehension. Yet there are clearly students/clientele who had good receptive language, but poor expressive language skills, which of course always leads to the question of just what they are comprehending.
marymary100
Underwater Plumber

Theme: Iconic

Mood: fact me

[*] Post 510927 posted on 9-1-2018 at 18:34 Reply With Quote

This pants one was more for parents but yes schools here have a CEOPS training course that includes materials to use with young people. The need for training becomes clear as the last time I showed the materials to one teacher within a matter of days a group of boys were reporting incidents to the police that hadn't actually happened to them.

https://www.ceop.police.uk/safety-centre/
Post new thread Poll:

Guest Notice
You are a guest, as a guest you can only see a maximum of 3 posts per thread.

If you want to see the rest, please click here to register.