Karl`s PC Help Forums Last active: Never
Not logged in [Login ]
Go To Bottom

In memory of Karl Davis, founder of this board, who made his final journey 12th June 2007

Printable Version | Subscribe | Add to Favourites   Post new thread Poll:
Author: Subject: Following on from Katzy's comment
marymary100
Underwater Plumber

Theme: Iconic
Member Is Online

Mood: fact me

[*] Post 510582 posted on 24-12-2017 at 20:25 Reply With Quote
Following on from Katzy's comment

Quote:
Originally posted by Katzy

The thing that gets me, is that the people who celebrate Christmas, most vehemently, are atheists...

Oh Come All Ye Faithless

Quote:

The power of assembly is strong when it's hitched to a spectacle – it's why we turn up to football matches, theatre performances and concerts – and there are few more potent expressions of community togetherness than a colourful Christmas service. Who wouldn't want to share in that ... and then feel a smidgen of regret that the full weight of the event's symbolism was denied to them?
Others might just like the tunes. In the same way as you can appreciate Michelangelo's Sistine Chapel frescos without having a religious faith, so can you enjoy a Requiem by Mozart, or the sacred polyphony of a church mass by Renaissance composer William Byrd, or the annual Nine Lessons And Carols, broadcast live from King's College Cambridge. Or even just the sight and sound of your children's primary school class singing Once In Royal David's City, or mugging their way through a nativity play.
Coming so close to the year's end and having as its themes birth, hope and celebration also makes Christmas a convenient time to take stock and reflect.

LSemmens
Undercover MOD

Theme: Windows XP Silver

Mood: Gone crazy, Back soo

[*] Post 510590 posted on 25-12-2017 at 10:05 Reply With Quote

I tend to agree, Mary. I find it quite anachronistic that those who have no faith are more than willing to accept the celebration of Christian Holidays as their "right".
marymary100
Underwater Plumber

Theme: Iconic
Member Is Online

Mood: fact me

[*] Post 510592 posted on 25-12-2017 at 10:29 Reply With Quote

Richard Dawkins says he is culturally Christian despite being an atheist. I suspect he's not the only one.
Post new thread Poll:

Guest Notice
You are a guest, as a guest you can only see a maximum of 3 posts per thread.

If you want to see the rest, please click here to register.