Karl`s PC Help Forums Last active: Never
Not logged in [Login ]
Go To Bottom

In memory of Karl Davis, founder of this board, who made his final journey 12th June 2007

Printable Version | Subscribe | Add to Favourites   Post new thread Poll:
Author: Subject: Problem--my cell phone won't recharge
scholar
Knowledge of Ages

Theme: KF Blue (Default)

Mood: pensive

[*] Post 510308 posted on 3-12-2017 at 00:18 Reply With Quote
Problem--my cell phone won't recharge

Up until perhaps three days ago, my cell phone recharged its battery OK. Some charger ends fit well, others that were the right kind of end did not give good contact. I owned a charger that I fit OK and used regularly. I did make a point of looking at the little charger symbol to see that the battery bars were cycling, indicating it was getting a charge.

But, for the past several days, I have not been able to get it to charge, or to show the symbol that it is charging. I have tried at least three chargers. I would conclude that either the place where I plug the charger into the phone is no longer giving a good connection, or something else is wrong with the phone.

This is one of the government-provided free phones (everyone calls them Obama phones, though I read the program actually started during the Bush administration). The phone gets minutes added to it, every month, at no additional cost to me. But I cannot transfer this to another phone; if I replace the phone, I lose the number (which many people know as my number), and I have to buy my own minutes every month.

Does anyone know how to make the charging connection work again? If you know something I can do, fine. Otherwise, I'm thinking I'll be taking it to a tech repair store, which might cost many times the intrinsic worth of the phone. But, the situational worth might make that a good option for me.

Possibly important: I remember the phone dropped and the back came off when it hit the floor, with the battery popping out. This was during a hospital visit, when a family member of the one I was visiting moved my coat, which had the phone in a pocket. The son-in-law put it together, and I did not know there to be any harm, but I don't think it has charged since then.
LSemmens
Undercover MOD

Theme: Windows XP Silver

Mood: Gone crazy, Back soo

[*] Post 510311 posted on 3-12-2017 at 01:25 Reply With Quote

Phone is probably stuffed if you've tried several chargers. Many of our shopping malls have phone repair stations where they can usually fix the more common phones on the spot. It may not be worth it, to pay to get it fixed. Do these phones have a SIM card? it would then be just a case of moving the SIM to a new phone, no number change required.
JackInCT
Custom User Title

Theme: KF Blue (Default)

Mood: No Mood

[*] Post 510313 posted on 3-12-2017 at 04:01 Reply With Quote

Quote:
Originally posted by LSemmens
Phone is probably stuffed if you've tried several chargers. Many of our shopping malls have phone repair stations where they can usually fix the more common phones on the spot. It may not be worth it, to pay to get it fixed. Do these phones have a SIM card? it would then be just a case of moving the SIM to a new phone, no number change required.

The option of LAST RESORT is to do a factory reset, but I believe that can only be done if there is some level of charge still left in the battery;a factory reset will erase everything on phone. I presume that the phone has some way via a USB cable to plug into a computer; IF that was done at some point in the past, and the contents of the phone were offloaded to the computer, that creates, by reversing the process, a backup that can be reloaded onto the phone. The phone book contacts can be used to create INDIVIDUAL CSV files, MANUALLY, for each listing, but that process has to be perfect re sending each contact back to the phone (which can be done in one fell swoop when the phone is plugged into the computer). A single contact phone listing done on the phone, and offloaded to a computer, can be used in Notepad as a template for ALL the contacts save to a *.csv file format. The file name is usually the last name of the contact; that is also a good way via Bluetooth to send that name/phone number to another phone if the PC has Bluetooth capability which all laptops have, and a PC would have with a Bluetooth dongle.
Post new thread Poll:

Guest Notice
You are a guest, as a guest you can only see a maximum of 3 posts per thread.

If you want to see the rest, please click here to register.