Karl`s PC Help Forums Last active: Never
Not logged in [Login ]
Go To Bottom

In memory of Karl Davis, founder of this board, who made his final journey 12th June 2007

Printable Version | Subscribe | Add to Favourites   Post new thread Poll:
Author: Subject: Not At Home? Amazon Wants To Come In(side) And Drop Off Packages
JackInCT
Custom User Title

Theme: KF Blue (Default)

Mood: No Mood

[*] Post 509809 posted on 25-10-2017 at 21:10 Reply With Quote
Not At Home? Amazon Wants To Come In(side) And Drop Off Packages

This is NOT fake news! This service appears to be in the final planning stages (11/08 target roll out date in about 3 dozen cities).

There are important details about this that a reader would need to become aware of. So rather than attempt a summary, I suggest that anyone interested in "understanding" this service, do a search with a phrase something along the lines of "Amazon Wants To Come In And Drop Off Packages", and there will be a considerable number of hits as all kinds of media outlets (to include major established ones) are all over this ["established ones" = Establishment ones].

I would point out that if the article that you read mentions who the target audience is, it will include the word "youth" in that (and some articles will include something about NOT being targeted (relevant?) to the old fogies crowd, i. e., as in being too rigid to change their ways AKA their values!!!).
marymary100
Underwater Plumber

Theme: Iconic
Member Is Online

Mood: fact me

[*] Post 509810 posted on 25-10-2017 at 21:17 Reply With Quote

Is it any different to allowing a cleaning company access to your keys to clean up when you're not at home?
JackInCT
Custom User Title

Theme: KF Blue (Default)

Mood: No Mood

[*] Post 509812 posted on 25-10-2017 at 23:20 Reply With Quote

Quote:
Originally posted by marymary100
Is it any different to allowing a cleaning company access to your keys to clean up when you're not at home?

That's a perfectly good rejoiner.

The difference, IF the cleaning company is locally owned, etc., is a huge difference. Amazon is a huge company and its size is its greatest liability when it comes to attracting and hiring "good"/qualified people, I. e., there are a large number of employment slots to be filled, with all kinds of personnel "requirements" to fill each and every slot. "Dedicated/responsible/etc., employees don't grow on trees. And in this day and age references are often not worth the paper they're written on.

The articles I read stated that Amazon would "thoroughly vet" the personnel for these jobs. I would ask if anyone has ever seen any of Amazon's personnel policies as to what "thoroughly vetted" really consists of, i. e., fingerprinting and check of criminal database, etc., ongoing no notice drug test?

I would say that by and large most of the drivers for the shipping companies that come to my door seem OK, but some of them I would have concerns about.
Post new thread Poll:

Guest Notice
You are a guest, as a guest you can only see a maximum of 3 posts per thread.

If you want to see the rest, please click here to register.