Karl`s PC Help Forums Last active: Never
Not logged in [Login ]
Go To Bottom

In memory of Karl Davis, founder of this board, who made his final journey 12th June 2007

Printable Version | Subscribe | Add to Favourites   Post new thread Poll:
Author: Subject: Is There An Alternative To Explorer That Can Create (Superimpose) A User Comment On A File Name?
JackInCT
Custom User Title

Theme: KF Blue (Default)

Mood: No Mood

[*] Post 509642 posted on 12-10-2017 at 17:36 Reply With Quote
Is There An Alternative To Explorer That Can Create (Superimpose) A User Comment On A File Name?

The problem that I'm trying to solve is whether there is some way that I can add a comment to a file name in a method identical to what I can do with any Excel cell (which is put the mouse over the cell, etc.,). I'm hoping that there is some Explorer alternative that can do this. Plan B would be some utility that modifies Explorer to perform this function. The why/when I would want this capability is really not important.

After some Googling, I discovered a hitherto unknown (to me) way of doing this in Explorer in my Win 7 OS, and it is likely to work in previous Win OSs. But it's a bit complicated (somewhat inconvenient) to execute, and so before I post the method, I'll start off with the basics re what the posters on this board know, and hope that someone has solved this.

And NO, my Google hits did not turn up any gear to set up/use to do this (free or otherwise) except for the one that I mentioned above.
LSemmens
Undercover MOD

Theme: Windows XP Silver

Mood: Gone crazy, Back soo

[*] Post 509646 posted on 13-10-2017 at 00:37 Reply With Quote

Are you looking at something like "Tag & Rename" for MP3 files. I'm guessing that you need something to modify the properties of a file.
JackInCT
Custom User Title

Theme: KF Blue (Default)

Mood: No Mood

[*] Post 509648 posted on 13-10-2017 at 01:45 Reply With Quote

Quote:
Originally posted by LSemmens
Are you looking at something like "Tag & Rename" for MP3 files....

No! I ran into a major time very time consuming problem re deleting a file when I used a file name that apparently exceeded 256 characters. The only reason that I wound up with such a very long file name was that there were similar reports that I had to distinguish from one another to include what the report was of (contents) and their origins & date (all pdf files). These were all in their own folder. My ad hoc long file naming system worked except in sense that when I opened the folder, and saw the list of files, I had to then widen the (view details) list to be able to read the file names as to what file was what re contents but even with a very long file name also somewhat "vague" what the report's contents (their 'official title' were. And I had to do this very quickly when I needed one (and memorizing them with some kind of shorthand lingo word structure for a file name is not my strong suit).

That's why I used the Excel cell example; you can create a comment that's basically a notation to yourself for future reference.

By the way, one alternative that I discarded was to merge ALL the pdf files into one file. Doing that for at least 25 reports (and growing) is like looking for a needle in a haystack even when you use Foxit's search function since any choice of search words will get multiple hits that you then have to check out one by one--ditto re using MS Word-same problem.
Post new thread Poll:

Guest Notice
You are a guest, as a guest you can only see a maximum of 3 posts per thread.

If you want to see the rest, please click here to register.