Karl`s PC Help Forums Last active: Never
Not logged in [Login ]
Go To Bottom

In memory of Karl Davis, founder of this board, who made his final journey 12th June 2007

Printable Version | Subscribe | Add to Favourites   Post new thread Poll:
Author: Subject: Two Questions Re USA Columbus Day Holiday
JackInCT
Custom User Title

Theme: KF Blue (Default)

Mood: No Mood

[*] Post 509611 posted on 9-10-2017 at 12:55 Reply With Quote
Two Questions Re USA Columbus Day Holiday

I presume that ALL posters know that today is the Columbus Day holiday in the US Of A. And IF you don't, there will be repercussions of the massive retaliations kind.

And there is a decent amount of statuary scattered about the USA "commemorating" this individual, although in some quarters, and I will NOT name them, the statuary really exists to honor his ethnic heritage.

What I suspect, is that few on this board know is that there there is a Movement (worthy of an uppercase letter "M") to change the name of this holiday to "Indigenous Peoples' Day". There is a core group of USA citizens consisting of 5/6 individuals, and maybe as many as 10 advocating such a change.

Background from a wiki:

Indigenous Peoples' Day (also known as Native American Day) is a holiday that celebrates the indigenous peoples of North America. It is celebrated in various localities in the United States. It began as a counter-celebration to Columbus Day, promoting Native American culture and commemorating the history of Native American people. The celebration began in Berkeley, California, through the International Indian Treaty Council, and Denver, Colorado, and now in Vermont, and Herndon, Virginia as a protest against Columbus Day. The latter is observed as a federal holiday in the United States, but it is not observed as a state holiday in every state, and most retail enterprises stay open. Indigenous Peoples' Day is usually held on the second Monday of October, coinciding with the federal observance of Columbus Day.

I have 2 questions for this board:

(1) Who is taught as the discoverer of America in your schools (AND perhaps to include just what, geographically/cartography speaking, America consists of)?

(2) Should the USA rename this day to Indigenous Peoples' Day?

JackInCT has attached this image.
Click the image to enlarge it:

Click Image To Enlarge
marymary100
Underwater Plumber

Theme: Iconic

Mood: fact me

[*] Post 509612 posted on 9-10-2017 at 16:46 Reply With Quote

1 - Leif Eriksson
2 - Possibly
JackInCT
Custom User Title

Theme: KF Blue (Default)

Mood: No Mood

[*] Post 509614 posted on 9-10-2017 at 17:30 Reply With Quote

Quote:
Originally posted by marymary100
1 - Leif Eriksson...

In some quarters, and by no means very many, the historical honor of discovering America belongs to someone/some group who, presumably, migrated here from unknown parts, i. e., were here when Leif, et al, and Columbus, et al, arrived.

That thesis of course is not able to be proven since the history of homo sapiens begins with "recorded history", and that history was not put down in writing at the same moment in time across the entire planet. Attempts to do so via fossils and such techniques as carbon dating always run into holes in the fossil record issues since fossils are rather limited in number and locale, especially with regard to such techniques such as the possibility of ever getting ANY DNA results.
Post new thread Poll:

Guest Notice
You are a guest, as a guest you can only see a maximum of 3 posts per thread.

If you want to see the rest, please click here to register.