Karl`s PC Help Forums Last active: Never
Not logged in [Login ]
Go To Bottom

In memory of Karl Davis, founder of this board, who made his final journey 12th June 2007

Printable Version | Subscribe | Add to Favourites   Post new thread Poll:
Author: Subject: A Question For Digital Photo Frame Users
JackInCT
Custom User Title

Theme: KF Blue (Default)

Mood: No Mood

[*] Post 509523 posted on 1-10-2017 at 17:28 Reply With Quote
A Question For Digital Photo Frame Users

I'm posting this topic for some feedback re end users personal experience on this board who use/have used/seen this tech.

Digital photo frame tech has been around for some time, to include some that also play [recorded] music and vids [and some can connect with Cloud fileservices, and the features go on and on]. And their prices vary from relatively cheap to very expensive.

And search engine hits on this tech to include uTube are very large; and there are some pretty good/honest reviews on uTube.

I have only seen uTube vids of this tech, and to my "eye" a digital photo frame is a very different experience than watching TV, or viewing a slide show on my desktop PC. And I'm pretty sure that it's not quite the same as seeing a pix in a frame/painting/whatever hung on the wall (or some are sized for a desk/table).

While viewing one's digital files does NOT necessarily mean that you have to have it set up in a slide show mode, I am wondering if it will wind up as a huge distraction (and become an annoyance) in whatever room it's set up in. And from the hits, it appears that the resolution of each digital pix is a significant issue as to how it then winds up appearing on the photo frame (pixelation, etc., issues) which in turn, depending on how fussy you are, will require removal of pixs that don't "look right".

Somehow or other digital eye candy is in a different realm that ma & pa's still portrait studio pix hanging on the wall.
marymary100
Underwater Plumber

Theme: Iconic
Member Is Online

Mood: fact me

[*] Post 509524 posted on 1-10-2017 at 18:34 Reply With Quote

I bought one for my folks maybe 5 years ago? They never used it but were not very computer literate. I had hoped my mother whose eyesight was fading might have found it helpful. Unfortunately it didn't work for her. They are probably much better now though.
JackInCT
Custom User Title

Theme: KF Blue (Default)

Mood: No Mood

[*] Post 509527 posted on 1-10-2017 at 22:26 Reply With Quote

Quote:
Originally posted by marymary100
....They never used it but were not very computer literate....

From what I have read on this subject these digital frames can become for anyone willing to put the work into it, a full fledged multimedia experience (WE all remember multimedia, don't we???) or a simple one to one, next to no work involved, replacement of any photo in a picture frame; and of course anything in between.

Multiple pixs can be run in a never ending loop (and some of these devices have a setting that if your turn off the light in a room, it has a sensor that will 'know' that and it shuts down (it's presuming that it's night time/bed time and everyone is asleep).

Once again: even if I made the effort to create a full blown, elaborate multimedia experience, its only value is IF I watch it (and stop whatever else I was doing), and of course that's not practical. AND I could just as well create such an "experience" on my PC via any number of freeware programs, and the gear to do that/view that is already paid for.

So I posted this topic to see if this is one of those digital devices that is a solution in search of a problem, and perhaps someone on this board has found a use for it that I've not considered.

There is a defunct website that sold one of their digital frames along with a subscription to a world class museum that basically had the digital frame set up as a kind of slide show and each pix was a high res of its exhibits. That caught my attn as a kind of digital age painting/photo on the wall that was ever changing. BUT then again, no one is going to sit there watching this frame all day long no matter how exquisite the museum's collection is.
Post new thread Poll:

Guest Notice
You are a guest, as a guest you can only see a maximum of 3 posts per thread.

If you want to see the rest, please click here to register.