Karl`s PC Help Forums Last active: Never
Not logged in [Login ]
Go To Bottom

In memory of Karl Davis, founder of this board, who made his final journey 12th June 2007

Printable Version | Subscribe | Add to Favourites   Post new thread Poll:
Author: Subject: My printer doesn't print like the preview
scholar
Knowledge of Ages

Theme: KF Blue (Default)

Mood: pensive

[*] Post 509371 posted on 17-9-2017 at 00:23 Reply With Quote
My printer doesn't print like the preview

In my most recent document, I trimmed two lines from the manuscript because the "print preview" in Wordpad (Windows 8.1) told me there would be only two lines on the final page.

When it printed on my HP 5150 printer, three lines of text were printed on an additional piece of paper.

What is the point of having a "print preview" if the final document doesn't match the preview?

I don't like to have orphan lines, either, especially if they are only a few words. My full-featured word processing programs used to give me the option of instructing the formatting to group things so as to avoid orphaning. And, I used to be able to set the view so that I could see how my work was going to appear, while I wrote it. That let me know how many pages I had written at any point, so I knew if I was getting too long. Now, some of my wp programs don't do this (at least, not in the default mode).

Any suggestions? Does someone here have great WYSIWYG experience with a particular program?

(I presently have Abiword and Wordpad icons on my old-fashioned Desktop. I am thinking about going back to OpenOffice or Office Libra, if I'm told they perform better in this respect.)
JackInCT
Custom User Title

Theme: KF Blue (Default)

Mood: No Mood

[*] Post 509373 posted on 17-9-2017 at 01:42 Reply With Quote

Quote:
Originally posted by scholar
In my most recent document, I trimmed two lines from the manuscript because the "print preview" in Wordpad (Windows 8.1) told me there would be only two lines on the final page.

When it printed on my HP 5150 printer, three lines of text were printed on an additional piece of paper.

It's not clear to me re your comments just where these 3 lines of text came from in your document, i. e., where in the doc they were.

In MS Word, and I think in just about all WPs, when you do a Print Preview somewhere there is a number of pages listed that the document contains as in my embedded image of a Print Preview; it's really easy to overlook that piece of info in the Preview re what you're sending to printer.

Creating/using a footer with the page numbers is always a good idea with any document that's multiple pages, i. e., such as "Pg 1 of 5 Pages"; the footers will show in Print Preview. Hard copy printouts also benefit from footers with pg numbers to keep the pgs in the correct order.

JackInCT has attached this image.
Click the image to enlarge it:

Click Image To Enlarge
LSemmens
Undercover MOD

Theme: Windows XP Silver

Mood: Gone crazy, Back soo

[*] Post 509388 posted on 17-9-2017 at 10:35 Reply With Quote

If you have set the page size incorrectly in you program, or printer, then you may end up with inconsistent results. Check to make sure tha the page size in the printer settings and in your word processor settings truly reflects the size of paper that you actually have in the printer.
Post new thread Poll:

Guest Notice
You are a guest, as a guest you can only see a maximum of 3 posts per thread.

If you want to see the rest, please click here to register.