Karl`s PC Help Forums Last active: Never
Not logged in [Login ]
Go To Bottom

In memory of Karl Davis, founder of this board, who made his final journey 12th June 2007

Printable Version | Subscribe | Add to Favourites   Post new thread Poll:
Author: Subject: Tracking Down A Mysterious File
JackInCT
Custom User Title

Theme: KF Blue (Default)

Mood: No Mood

[*] Post 509330 posted on 14-9-2017 at 17:34 Reply With Quote
Tracking Down A Mysterious File

Tracking Down A Mysterious File

While running, via a 3rd party tracks/history eraser program (on my secondary desktop PC), I noticed this entry in the list of files that shows up after this program scans my local HD; this entry is in the screen capture embedded image.

I have zero idea which of my installed programs this file is associated with (OR perhaps from a program that's been uninstalled).

I tried to track its location on my local HD with a variety of 'entries' [re various choices for the search words) in two separate programs, (1) the built in Windows file search gear, and (2) a 3rd party search program. No Joy! I have the File View Show Hidden Files choice turned on; so that's not the reason I can't find it/see it.

I did a Google search, and there are hits for this "freewebs.com", but all the hits simply show that it's a free website hosting service (and I've never used it).

I'm not at all sure whether this entry is actually a file, I. e., it has a strange/uncommon "name". It does get deleted by my tracks eraser program, but it shows up again the next time I reboot.

My antivirus is NOT 'burping' on this (or anything), but I don't like having unknown origin files re what they could be up to.

Any ideas how/where to track this down?

JackInCT has attached this image.
Click the image to enlarge it:

Click Image To Enlarge
Katzy
Anything you like

Theme: Coffee

Mood: Fintlewoodlewix.

[*] Post 509331 posted on 14-9-2017 at 20:47 Reply With Quote

What browser do you use, Jack?

If you know how to look at the cookies, for whatever browser you use, try that and see if it's there. You can delete it/them, then.
JackInCT
Custom User Title

Theme: KF Blue (Default)

Mood: No Mood

[*] Post 509332 posted on 14-9-2017 at 22:14 Reply With Quote

Quote:
Originally posted by Katzy
What browser do you use, Jack?

If you know how to look at the cookies, for whatever browser you use, try that and see if it's there. You can delete it/them, then.

I run this history/tracks eraser program as a matter of routine as soon as the boot up to desktop is finished; so none of my browsers have been opened up at that point. And more often than not I also run it before I power down/do a restart, so it's not likely left over from a previous session. AND there are no other entries in the scan list that begin with "cookies".

I have 3 browsers, so if you're suggesting that a site that I visit is sticking this to me via one of these browsers, that would have to mean that I visit that site during each session (since it does get deleted by my tracks eraser), but my surfing during each session doesn't always involve consistent visits to the same group of sites.

I have 3 history eraser freeware gems. For whatever reasons, each developer coded their gear to delete different "tracks" (and just for laughs (but not funny Ha Ha), as soon as some of these tracks are deleted, IF I immediately repeat the scan, some of the deleted files reappear (and I'm NOT referring to the *.dat Windows files either).
Post new thread Poll:

Guest Notice
You are a guest, as a guest you can only see a maximum of 3 posts per thread.

If you want to see the rest, please click here to register.